• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sas dana 44

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
In essence yes. I bought one from a guy who sent them his stocker then sold it to me. So no it is basically an EB 5-760x U-joint passeger shaft.

Your wheels look tall and narrow, just like I like em, what size is your tire/wheel combo?
well they are kind of small. 33x11.5 r 16
I am going to run 35 or 36 inch tires from now on. I had just bought those tires before I did the sas.

RangerDW

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Near Future

Nice job on your SAS. I am about to start on one my self. I just finished the rear with a upgraded 8.8 w/disc out of a 2000 Explorer. I have a D44 out of a 79 F150 and deaver coil springs.I do plan on shorting it also. How is steering radius compaired to the stock set up?

foxracing5491

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i installed a full spool in my d44 sas and have that same problem. it was worse in snow when my back tire would spin do to open diff. your rear is getin less traction then you front or vise versus causing the suspension to travel. mine is only slight, so im goin to just deal with it until i get the trac lok i just ordered. ill be trying to stuff hd d44 shafts in with the sAme size u-joints as a d60. and save your comments the 5-86 are a 1350 joint and are replaceable with the d60 5-282 which are now the 5-447 or 5-799

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ill be trying to stuff hd d44 shafts in with the sAme size u-joints as a d60. and save your comments the 5-86 are a 1350 joint and are replaceable with the d60 5-282 which are now the 5-447 or 5-799
Ummmmm. Ill save my "Told you so" till u give it a whirll. ( u-joint wont fit through the hole in the knuckle, but im not gonna tell you that, idiot)

Todd S.

foxracing5491

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
every one says that but i just replaced a sheared 5-297 with a 760 and the hole in the knuckle was about 5 inches wide, i dont know if its because im runnin an 8 lug, the only problem i see is clearance issue with the threads of the lower ball joint

foxracing5491

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i may be wrong but im goin to try like hell to get them in there. i may just shave the outer of the ears and make an internal full clip fit. itll still be stronger then my bent to shit ears on my stock shaft until i can get some chromos or just final talk the guy that im selling his d60 for to let me have it.

foxracing5491

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oops only saw first page, didnt know he already found the problem, i sumtimes put my 2 cent in even if im wrong. but least i try. and im not an idiot, just not crazy educated about this stuff. i research as i go and ive only been building my truck for a year and a half and ive already got pretty far.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Can you not see the edit button on posts? You don't have to make a new post every 15 minutes.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i may be wrong but im goin to try like hell to get them in there. i may just shave the outer of the ears and make an internal full clip fit. itll still be stronger then my bent to shit ears on my stock shaft until i can get some chromos or just final talk the guy that im selling his d60 for to let me have it.

You CAN NOT run D-60 u-joints in a 44 shaft.
You CAN NOT run D-60 u-joints in a 44 knuckle. IT WILL NOT FIT, thats a fact.
Research before you spout off. You think your the first guy to think of that?????
Noooooo your not, okay....
If you want to run a 60, buy one. If you wanna run a 60/44 hybrid, good luck with that....

I called you an idiot because you posted with attitude. Dont post "i dont care what you say", even though you have never tried or even measured to see if it will fit, and not expect me to tell you your an idiot.

Todd S.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You CAN NOT run D-60 u-joints in a 44 shaft.
You CAN NOT run D-60 u-joints in a 44 knuckle. IT WILL NOT FIT, thats a fact.
Research before you spout off. You think your the first guy to think of that?????
Noooooo your not, okay....
If you want to run a 60, buy one. If you wanna run a 60/44 hybrid, good luck with that....

I called you an idiot because you posted with attitude. Dont post "i dont care what you say", even though you have never tried or even measured to see if it will fit, and not expect me to tell you your an idiot.

Todd S.
I tried to rep ya but it wouldn't let me

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Haha i love the conversations that go on this thread!! We are having way to much fun.

Nice job on your SAS. I am about to start on one my self. I just finished the rear with a upgraded 8.8 w/disc out of a 2000 Explorer. I have a D44 out of a 79 F150 and deaver coil springs.I do plan on shorting it also. How is steering radius compaired to the stock set up?
The steering radius is pretty close, maybe ever better. The only problem I have found is that my tires rub against my radius arms when I am turned all the way. You may want to invest in some offset wheels or wheel spacers.:icon_thumby:

Here are some new pictures!!!

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Haha i love the conversations that go on this thread!! We are having way to much fun.

The steering radius is pretty close, maybe ever better. The only problem I have found is that my tires rub against my radius arms when I am turned all the way. You may want to invest in some offset wheels or wheel spacers.
Mine only rubbed when i was turning and in a tire "scrubbing" situation. (if that makes any sence) , like off camber or rock crawling. If i was street driving, it wouldnt rub.

Todd S.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is that your license plate number on your window???

And stock radius arms suck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals