• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS coil question

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 88 ford ranger 2.9l supercab. I am doing an sas using stock coil buckets. Can any one give me a measurement of Center of Coil to center of coil. I really need this, that way i can move in the coil mounts on the axle, without having the truck apart, I want to have the sas ready to "bolt in" by the time i do it. So if anyone can give me the width of the stock coils that would be great.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Can't you just measure your truck? 36''s sounds about right if I remember correctly, I'll have to measure in the morning.

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i think if you looking for the easiest or least custom work for a sas id say use a jeep danna 30

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no i am doing a radius arm d44. I just want to have as much done before i tear the truck apart. Less down time that way

madmax401

Reaction score
hey Hondafreak08 , im doing the same thing and im in the same boat that you are . where did your d44 come frome to give us some ideas ? eb or f150? we can serve you better with more info . i too have a d44 from 71-77 f150 style radius arm. i took my ttb out of my 88 super cab and put the d44 under it so i could get a rough idea. i planned on using the stock ranger coils mounts. looks like i have to cut the welds on wedges and move them inward about 3 inches on each side and re-weld them.
i read somewhere about using a plumb line (hook it in the center of your upper coil mount-let it hang, do the same on the other side) that should give you the measurment your looking for. i not a fab guy like some of these other dudes in here......so i'm gonna need some help myself. good luck , the other guys will chime in soon.

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
came off a 79 f150.. I cant move the wedges in there cast. So ill have to build some mounts on the bottom. Ill have to squeeze them in. Yes the plumb bob method is what im asking for. If someone could drop some plumb bobs and give me the measuremnts

Randy M.

Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i read somewhere about using a plumb line (hook it in the center of your upper coil mount-let it hang, do the same on the other side) that should give you the measurment your looking for. i not a fab guy like some of these other dudes in here......so i'm gonna need some help myself. good luck , the other guys will chime in soon.
Exactly. You also want to find the datum line on the truck, this is the center line from front to rear and mark it. Then measure from the datum line to the plumb line. the measurments need to be the same. In a perfect world, they should be, however, it's best to be sure. You should also find the center line on the axle, and measure from the center to the outside.

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why do i need to measure from the ceten of the axle out?

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was going to find stock ranger (coil) width,, say X then find stock f150 width (coil) say Y... then y-x=z z/2 will give me the distance to move each bottom coil bucket in. Thats why i was asking for the coul width

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals