• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Salutations and Greetings - Stock First Gen XLT

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I currently own a 1987 Ranger XLT, 2.3L, standard cab. She's a survivor rescued from Tucson, AZ about a year ago...rust free with only 81k miles on her but in rough mechanical shape. Have replaced the timing belt, water pump, power steering, brakes, shocks, wheels, tires, plugs, wires, valve cover gasket, rotor, cap, exhaust from the catalytic converter back, heater core, and a ton of exterior (original paint) and trim work. Up next is the suspension as she has more creaks than an offstrip Vegas motel bed. I've never tackled a suspension so looking forward to exploiting all the info here and the contributors who posted it. Here's a pic of her when I bought her and one as she sits today.

Before (Jul 14):

Now (Jun 15):

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~!

Very clean looking body and nice upgrades on the wheels. The under hood work you did should keep it going strong for a while...oil change and transmission fluids OK?

Suspension is one of my next projects also...at least the spring mounts on the driver side replacement anyway...they are trouble spots on all years so good to keep an eye on them...

Just curious as to how often you visit those Vegas motels though...must be nice to have some spare cash for the essentials...:) Maybe find a place with waterbeds though...that keeps the noise down if you don't get sea sick...always good to wear something rubber as a prevention of things like Moby Dick...those whales are very promiscuous ...

Anyway...hope you find what you need here or maybe win the mini truck of the month/year for a good looking original equipment vehicle...:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
....maybe win the mini truck of the month/year for a good looking original equipment vehicle...:icon_thumby:
This truck is definitely a Winner-

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks Mark! I've been fortunate to get most of the exterior parts from the Pull a Part and U Pick a Part yards. The wheels were thrashed but I only paid $20 a piece...then spent about 10 hrs each trying to clean them up...ended up completely stripping the clearcoat then polished like hell. Big heavy springs under tension scare the begeebies out of me so have tried to blame everything but them. When I finally trust my abilities to tackle them I figure I'll just go through the whole front end...though the ball joints and tie rod ends seem ok with no play in the wheels. The bushings seem ok, too, but 27 years in AZ has to have certainly had some affect.

Great Vegas advice!!

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
det107, Thank you! I'm looking forward to exploiting the talent here to get her back to her 1987 glory.

xcross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello and welcome... Very nice restoration work you did there!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If you jack it up and put the stands under the frame, you can get all of the tension off the springs..

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks SN. I have both the Haynes and Chilton repair manuals. For removing the coil spring, the Haynes says "Warning: As a safety precaution, use a length of heavy chain through one or two coils and then secured to a vehicle frame member". To me, that's like saying "Hold my beer. Watch this!". :beer:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
ROFL, don't take those manuals too seriously I guess. That's really bad..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals