• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

safe to run upper intake plenum through dishwasher?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I heard of someone running their upper intake plenum through the dishwasher to clean it and it worked really good. I was just curious if you can actually do that?

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
what type of detergent?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't see why you couldn't...I used to wash computer motherboards in the dishwasher and then rinse them with distilled water when the caps on them started leaking.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Not a problem. I have washed pistons, valve covers, timing chain covers and oil pans in the dish washer. I use regular dish washing detergent and the wife never knew. Didn't leave any mess, either.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I don't see why you couldn't...I used to wash computer motherboards in the dishwasher and then rinse them with distilled water when the caps on them started leaking.
:icon_surprised:. Electronics and water are not suppose to mix. I use compressed air and/or a dry cloth to clean computer componets.

Everything else should be okay to put in the dish washer. As for being ratted out, my mother can't complain, I fixed it the time and saved her from buying a new one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
:icon_surprised:. Electronics and water are not suppose to mix. I use compressed air and/or a dry cloth to clean computer componets.

Everything else should be okay to put in the dish washer. As for being ratted out, my mother can't complain, I fixed it the time and saved her from buying a new one.
Actually circuit boards of any type are run through distilled water when they're completed at the factory. You just need to make sure they get really dry right away. It's the easiest way to get electrolyte goo from capacitors washed off.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have washed all kinds of parts in the washer, as long as there was not a lot of grease build up on them, cleaned them else where with brake cleaner and a brush. I wouldn't worry about what ever detergent you use, people spray their motors down with "Gunk" which is a lot more caustic than any soap. Headers get cooked in the oven after painting, think the recipe call for 400 degs for three hours.
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals