• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ryobi Tools and Home Depot Customer Service and Warranty Notes

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got a set of Ryobi 18V tools last summer to replace the previous set from 2006. The batteries just wore out, two sets, although the tools were still good, but I was in a pinch and needed something Now, specifically the Sawsall. As before I got the full set, broke out the sawsall in the parking lot and returned to my project. From there it just went on the shelf, I've used the drill mostly, the saw a time or two, and grown to like the little impact driver(until then I had the presumption the drill had always been an impact of its' own accord but have learned there is a substantial difference)

I don't think I've charged a battery since new more than three times in the 6 months or 8, but went to top one up but the charger wasn't working, and all I could think was DAMM. After digging out the receipt and calling Home Depot several times began to learn a few disturbing things about them. In their store they have a service desk with no less than 3 or 4 rep windows that's always open, that's at ever little store. BUT to call their customer service on the phone, they have one number, nation wide, that is intended to address EveryThing. After the first few failed attempts to get through to a rep, I had already memorized the list of menus, 1st list press 7, 2nd list press 6, 3rd menu press 2, YUK!

After about 2 hours I finally got one who I could hear un-distortedly, spoke the language somewhat, went through their endless barrage of questions, but at least this one was nice and gave me the number to call @ Ryobi, and told me it was up to them for the warranty, so I relunctantly proceeded to call Ryobi.

The first time through I got a rep who asked me a few questions, asked for the charger serial, the drill serial, and told me to plug up the charger and tell her how many lights came on. I said "None!" and was then told they'd be sending me a new one, that simple.

I was asked to take the charger by HD and toss it into the battery recycling box but that will likely(if at all) be after I've opened it up to see what I find ;)

Their numbers are Home Depot (one single number for EVERYTHING!, be prepared for a deluge of menu after endless menu) 800-466-3337
Ryobi, I think warranty only, 800-525-2579

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On another note while I was still wondering what I could do, I had looked at battery/charger kits online, I might even annie up with a couple of the 4Ah batteries and the heavier charger, seems they're all being shipped now with the tiny cell-phone type chargers. (or maybe the 1/2" impact)

The 2 4AH batteries, and the heavy duty charger is a little over $100

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That is good to know they stand behind their stuff.

At Christmas time... I bought my future SIL some Ryobi cordless stuff from the Home Depot. They had a 2+1 deal going on... buy 2 4ah batteries and get 1 tool free. I want to say it was on sale for like $70. I chose Ryobi because the had a wide assortment of tools and price was right. He has since bought the yard pack... with a blower and string trimmer with an additional 4ah battery... weed/chemical sprayer... skill saw.... air compressor... fan... radio/charger and a work light. They had just bought a house and he told me the other day it was probably the best gift he had ever received. He has a pretty nice set up going with his new tools.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I put up seamless gutters for work and we've used ryobi tools for years. Hours on end every day driving 2" screws. We work em hard, throw em around, they get soaking wet and they just don't care.

We usually get a year out of a gun. Failures are usually clutch related.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I put up seamless gutters for work and we've used ryobi tools for years.
What brand roll forming machine are you using?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

willindsay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been using same set doing cabin maintenance for about 2yrs and they won't quit. Starter set from HD is a great start. I've expanded with the inflators, 1/2in impact hand vac and a few others. Leaf blower being my favorite.

If you want to expand your lineup check out https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/ they have killer deals on factory reconditioned and blem tools. They've got 2 brick and mortar stores in town that I frequent. I picked up the brushless impact and drill set from them for $100 with batteries and charger last Christmas season.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The forklift company I spent 15 years working for leased a building from Englert’s main branch in Perth Amboy.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Perth is a funny word...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've heard good things about the Ryobi cordless tools, apparently they kept their batteries reverse compatible to the old tools from what I hear...

I kinda happened into Ryobi 12 and 18V stuff, Milwaukee M18 stuff and recently the Bauer 20V stuff but I literally just happened on those (garage sales and gifts to start then expand from there) so I went with it... if I were to do it again the Ryobi isn't bad.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ryobi was the first to sell their tools separate from the charger and batteries. Was into Makita drills back when they were 7.2 and 9.6volt. Then I wanted more tools than just the drill and bought into Ryobi. They are a consumer grade tool. Some are junk. Others are great. The 2.0Ah batteries are junk. The 4.0Ah batteries are great. The drills and 1/4" impact are great. The grinder sucks. The skill saw wears out bearings quickly. The sawzall is good.
All the batteries are interchangeable and backwards compatible. The new chargers are great and will charge old batteries, and sometimes even bring back old batteries that wouldn't take a charge on old chargers.
Would I reccomend them?
A hesitant yes. They are great for those on a budget. But deWalt, Milwaukee, and other brands seem to have more oomph when compared side to side. If I was to start over I would probably go to a more pro oriented brand.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought the same set in 2006, because it was in the same box for a good price, and out the door.
Skill saw, sawzall, drill/driver,can't remember what all came with that set, carry bag and flashlight. It's biggest problem was the batteries, after 5 or 6 years of basically light service duty they went out. My brother had bought a chainsaw which he had left here before I came home and gave me the batteries and charger from it, which lasted a few more years.
With the newer batteries and charger working so well with the old set also, I should be good on basic home set of tools for a while.
Thinking more seriously about getting the 2, 4Ah battery set W/ the heavier duty charger, I think about a hundred dollars, to keep em spinnin

In my browsing their tools listed @ home depot(the only home store in my immediate neighboorhood) I did notice most of them as listed now have the puny charger

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think 2x4.0Ah batteries + charger for $100 would be money well spent.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I looked at their site again earlier today and didn't see the things I saw last week, in any form. I'm guessing those heavy chargers won't be around long, might check at the store when I get the chance, maybe find a set of something there to grab another charger and couple extra batteries.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had a long chat with a Milwaukee rep awhile back. According to him, Milwaukee owns Ryobi and Rigid. Ryobi was built as an affordable homeowner grade, Rigid was the mid grade and Milwaukee is full-on pro grade. Ryobi has the widest tool selection but Milwaukee has the most powerful tools.

That said, I had bought Craftsman cordless stuff years ago. The 19.2v system and I got the full set with sawzall, trim saw, light and drill. Replaced it once under warranty and eventually got a trim saw and drill kit, a hammerdrill, impact, and a drill/impact set. Beat the snot out of those tools for years but eventually the trim saw and Sawzall gave up. And the Craftsman 19.2v changed now that Sears is largely gone.

When I went looking to replace the tools, I ended up moving to Milwaukee for two main reasons 1) they had an 18v 1/2” impact rated for like 1,100ft/lbs and 2) they have the most compact and most powerful trim nailer on the market. Now my collection is getting decently sized. On the 12v side I have a drill/impact set, PVC shear, 3/8” ratchet, and jigsaw. On the 18v side I have a hammerdrill/hydraulic impact, 7-1/4” circular saw, two 1/2” impacts, sawzall, 15ga angle finish nailer, 18ga brad nailer, 4-1/2” angle grinder, heat gun, and two rocket lights. Might be forgetting something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals