• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rusted crossmembers

Uschi Otzenberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone! Looking for opinions....I’m driving a 2009 B4000. The frame is a bit rusty but in pretty good condition with no holes. The rear cross members however are in pretty bad shape rust-wise, lots of holes and basically rotted out. From a bit of research I understand this is expected to go first and I shouldn’t be overly surprised. What I haven’t fully understood yet though is how important are those cross member from a structural / safety perspective when the rest of the frame is ok. Do they just carry the load in the truck bed (if any) and can I consider it acceptable to drive for another year or two for as long as I don’t have any significant weight in the bed?
D95024AD-8F89-4C9C-AEF2-3D7F3BE10266.jpeg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Is that a crossmember on the bottom of the truck bed or an actual frame crossmember?

The picture is in so tight it's hard for me to tell...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Looks like he’s talking about the bed. There is a thread somewhere that discusses those pieces. Some people had new pieces made and some people were able to source similar pieces from body shop supply places. That’s about all the detail I remember from the thread .

Uschi Otzenberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
The worst one is the second one from the back around the center of the bed and then there is a completely rusted out part in the area at the very front of the bed where it meets the cab. Full disclosure as you can probably tell by now I’m not mechanically verse and do not really know what I am talking about hence looking for opinions. Thanks!!

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Those are part of the bed and not part of the truck frame. The bed can be removed and turned over or stood up on end to make it easier to work on.

you could take some pictures and make a sketch with dimensions and have new pieces made at a sheet metal fab shop. Then grind the old ones off and weld the new pieces on.

Or, just replace the whole bed. 6 bolts, unplug the wiring harness, unbolt the fuel filler, reverse process with new bed.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
All good... I thought they were the bed support rails and not a frame crossmember. This is common... too common. The fix is to move south... lol.

There are no Ford replacement parts for those... as Eric stated... they can be fixed but requires sourcing your own replacement materials. Or... find a nice clean bed.

Does the truck have a bedliner?

As for the safety of whats going on there... it would be debatable on overall condition.

Uschi Otzenberger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks so much to both of you for having taken the time to take a look! I sure wouldn’t mind moving south but unfortunately there’s no south up here in Canada:). I would not be able to do this myself and spending the money on labour is likely too expensive..it does have a drop in bed liner . I’m eyeing the new Nissan Frontier so was just wondering how comfortable or not I should be driving my truck until the Frontier comes out. A new Ranger of course was first on my list, but the prospects of having to replace a turbocharger $$$$ right after the warranty expires down the road are too high a risk for me personally to take. Thanks again, hope you guys have a good weekend!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I asked about the bedliner because some folks are surprised to find the bottom of the bed with rust through also. Your best bet if it starts to come unglued... put another bed on it. If you can find one.

If mine gets to bad... I may do a flat bed. Ya just never know.

There is a new Ranger coming for 2023... I'm also hoping they have a naturally aspirated V6 in the line up.

There are some really cool offerings coming...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Beds are very easy to swap and if you can find a used one in better condition for $250/300.

If the bed is still bolted to the frame, the bolts are not rusted off. I wouldn’t worry about it. Especially if you have one of them plastic bed liners.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Mine was not that bad when I treated it fortunately. It took me some time and effort to do it.

Honestly, if you could find a somewhat decent bed, I would swap it out with a better one.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The new bed option probably going to be the cheapest and fastest fix.

To replace those supports is going to require some fabricating skills and a welder. You can get the replacement pieces but you have to finish where they left off and weld them on.

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
That's the kind of rot that ended my time with my '97. The turbo engine scared me off the new Ranger as well.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I doubt get why folks are scared of turbos. They've been around a long time, it's just more recently that the computer controls and better technologies have made them viable for daily driver type vehicles. When I get into a vehicle that's not turbocharged or supercharged anymore it just doesn't really feel right. Those that do drive them know what I mean, especially turbo diesels.

But I agree, the I-4 turbo in the new Ranger is not right. It should have been the 3.5 V6 twin turbo.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Thanks so much to both of you for having taken the time to take a look! I sure wouldn’t mind moving south but unfortunately there’s no south up here in Canada:). I would not be able to do this myself and spending the money on labour is likely too expensive..it does have a drop in bed liner . I’m eyeing the new Nissan Frontier so was just wondering how comfortable or not I should be driving my truck until the Frontier comes out. A new Ranger of course was first on my list, but the prospects of having to replace a turbocharger $$$$ right after the warranty expires down the road are too high a risk for me personally to take. Thanks again, hope you guys have a good weekend!
Can confirm, live an hour south of MTL and its still all rotten garbage here, haha. I've seen many much more rotten beds than that, you should be fine for a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals