• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rust Repair in Bed

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
I have a 99 extended cab that has spent its life in NJ and has its share of rust. As part of a repair to fix a bad fuel pump, I decided to pull the bed. When I pulled the plastic factory liner I saw some rust that I need to address. Looking for suggestions here as to how to approach restoring the bed.

The picture shows the worst of the rust by the mounting bolt just behind the cab on the fuel filler side. The other side is more solid. There is a lot of rust by the fuel filler.

I plan on trying to do a good structural repair and put back the factory liner. I like the look and usefulness of it. This truck probably only has a few good years left in it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What picture?

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
The picture

OK... had to get picture small enough to be uploaded and it is still huge. The picture shows the bed right near the gas filler. The bed is rusted through. The "tube" that the bolt goes thorugh is still connected to the bed, but needs some obvious reinforcement. Looks like it may have been part of a angle support under the bed, but its hard to tell from what is left.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Price a better bed at the JY. Probably faster and easier than cutting out bad wavy pieces and replacing them with flat steel. Unless you love welding, of course.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree. If the truck only has a a few years left either deal with it, or buy a new bed.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Thanks for the suggestions

I think I may keep my eyes open for a better bed but it would have to be the same green color. A hang up of mine. In the meantime I am going to pull the bed and take a look underneath. My concern is that bolt tube that is barely holding on. It is like having a table with one wobbly leg

I think I may employ some angle iron rivets and fasteners to put back the strength that has been lost. I was also interested where to source bed panels but now it occurs to me that I just need to find a junk bed that I can cut some from. Most of my bed is perfect

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Most of your bed is perfect, except where it bolts to the frame. The floor of the bed gives it integrity. I'd rather have a solid bed than one that's matches. I wouldn't be hung up on a different color if your canning the truck in a few years. Plus it gives the truck character, a story of how its been on the road and is determined to stay on the road.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Bed sides can be swapped. Find a good bed and put your side panels on it.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Interesting. I have seen the step side bed sides are fiberglass and must be removable somehow. I don't have step side. Can those sides be removed? if so what does that involve? Fasteners or welding?

You guys are right on all points. I understand about the bed integrity and I do have plans to use the truck for weekend tasks, not just transporting lightweight items.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On a fleet-side the bed sides are held on by a series of spot welds along the inner rail. You can cut them out and use bolts to reattach.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
That's interesting about the spot welds. A lot of work, but an option. There must be more all along the fender perimeter. I have seen them drilled with a special bit. is there a tool that makes quick work of separating the pieces of metal?

Any idea what beds fit a '99 and if the plastic fender flares can be removed and transferred to another bed?

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
A drill and a flat head should be all you really need to separate the side panels. The beds are pretty much the same no matter what year as long as the body style is similar.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's interesting about the spot welds. A lot of work, but an option. There must be more all along the fender perimeter. I have seen them drilled with a special bit. is there a tool that makes quick work of separating the pieces of metal?

Any idea what beds fit a '99 and if the plastic fender flares can be removed and transferred to another bed?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spot-Weld-Cutter-Drill-Bit-5-16-6-pcs-made-in-USA/283297244574?hash=item41f5d4e59e:g:WosAAOSwWxNYpIkI:rk:7:pf:0

These will do the job quick. Using these it took me a little over an hour to disassemble a front clip, which is 23 spot welds.

My only regret with that one was buying only one, rather than the 6-pack. It started to dull a little over half way through and that slowed me down a good bit.

Also, be careful to not over-do it. There is a fine line between cutting the weld and punching a giant hole in your work piece. It wasn't a big deal for me because I was planning to put it all back together with bolts, but you should still be careful.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
you can ( if you have a welder ) spot weld it back on, if you use a metal side. If you go fiberglass, I would use epoxy and bolts.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the rest of the bed is fine other than the spot in the picture then I would get a piece of steel plate about 8"x8" or 10"x10" or get a plate that's 8"x8" with a right angle lip about 2-3" tall so you can bolt to the side of you box and to the base of the box. It wouldn't be pretty but it would be functional. Over the summer, I had my bed completely off the truck and I have far worse rust on mine than yours. I just put a few pieces of galvanized steel plate over top of the holes and bolted them down and then covered them with my plastic bed liner. you would never know it was like that unless you lifted the liner.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals