• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Runs bad when cold

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1988 Ranger 2.9 with auto trans.

I got this as a non-running truck but it fired right up after I changed the ECM relay. It ran fairly good on 7 year old gas. Just had a small hesitation when you'd hit the throttle. Fast forward a few month and one day it just started missing terribly and the hesitation is now pretty bad.

Things I've done:
Air filter
Fuel filter
plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor
Looked for vac leaks and didn't find any.

I kept messing with and driving it short distances. For the most part it's stopped missing but will still stumble pretty bad. While it's stumbling, if you let off the throttle it instantly clears up and runs on all 6. Eventually if you just hold the throttle it will snap out of it and take off like normal. This mostly goes away after it gets warm. There is no CEL.

What should I check? Trying to avoid the parts cannon. The items I've already replaced where long overdue so I don't feel bad there.

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
check your coolant level
coolant temp tells it how to idle when cold

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oil was changed and everything else was topped off so it should be good but I'll double check it.

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
I'll elaborate a bit further since rereading, I don't like the way I phrased my first message. I'm sure someone can add more/better detail, but in the meantime to get you on the path...

The coolant temp sensor signals the computer and idle air control valve to adjust for when the engine is cold. So if there is a problem with your sensor or the coolant isn't reaching it, the computer doesn't know the correct mixture to use

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Gotcha. I will take a look. I think I saw something in one of the searches about the values using an ohm meter. I know it's plugged in but I didn't really look at the condition of the wires or plug.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
All great info, coolant/coolant temp sensor is where I would start too. I would also see if you can get a fuel pressure reading. I have had several trucks that sat for a while develop little holes in the rubber hose between the fuel pump and sending unit. Fuel sprays out of that hole and back into the tank instead of into the fuel system so you end up with a low fuel pressure scenario... I wouldn't normally suspect that but it happens specifically on vehicles that have sat with old gas in the tank.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the responses. We'll likely never know as I sold the truck tonight. Time to get back to the BII.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals