• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running rough... I have no idea what it could be. Lot's of info, long read.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

It seems to me like a couple cylinders just stop working also. It does it when the engine is in open loop or closed loop.

I replaced the timing belt today since the original had 182,000+ miles on it. I replaced the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor while they were easy to get to.

Still no change in the way it runs.

I rechecked the fuel pressure: 30 psi idle, 40 psi idle with FPR unhooked.

I read the ohms of the injectors, and all were within specs. This doesn't mean they are "good" though.

I have some junkyard injectors to try. I also have a complete throttle body with TPS and IAC valve on it from the junkyard also. This will allow me to replace the intake gaskets and the hoses underneath the intake.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
jesus christ. let us know when u find out wut the problem is because it sounds like just one hella mess. well atleast u wont have to worry about all of those other things for a while.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I've been fighting this battle for a while now... and it's starting to get old.

Most of the parts replaced were originals, except the spark plugs which were non-platinums, so that's why I replaced them.

It won't be much longer until I just swap in my 5.0 HO, I know it runs good.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well i dont know if this is any comfort but im in the same boat as you, bought the trk used for a daily driver, changed the plugs and wires last weekend now its running so rich i have a cloud around the trk cuz it has a hellacious exhaust leak and no cat. ive changed the coils, and cleaned the maf, new fuel filter, fixed 4 vacuum leaks, the lead can line was unplugged b4 and the rubber to connect it was missing, i put a vacuum cap on it. the egr was almost plugged completely, scraped it out w/ a knife. going to try an fpr since thats whats wrong w/ all the vtx1800s that do this at work from sitting up some (the trk has sat a spell.) my next step if this doesnt work is intake air temp sensor, then maf replacement. i have no diagnostic tools and havent yet went to get codes read, there is no cel however. im tired of pouring money into it but it needs to be right. the reason im going to put an fpr on there anyway is even when they are bad on the vtx, they still show proper pressure just a 1 or 2 pounds more and its almost like the diaphragms are hard and not moving like they should, if it works ill report.

russian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I was having the same problem as described on my 1997 Mazda B2300.
Took it to shop and the mechanic advised me to replace the fuel injectors. Have not had that problem since.
I have 174,300 miles on it now.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Ok, today I got the following done:

Replaced injectors with junkyard injectors

Replaced throttle body gasket, upper-to-lower intake gasket, lower-to-cylinder head gasket, and EGR valve gasket.

Cleaned EGR port in manifold.

New fuel filter

Replaced ALL vacuum lines.

STILL NO CHANGE!!!

I have a gas tank from a '92 T-bird 5.0 HO that still has the complete fuel lines from the tank to fuel rail still attached to it. I may set the tank on the ground next to my Ranger and connect the fuel lines to my fuel rail and connect the pump to my battery. This may let me know if my pump is defective.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well heres my report, and i feel like a dumbass to say the least. i was driving the trk home from work to install the fpr, i noticed that it made a loud leak hiss type noise noise, ran a lil better, then started over, never done this til yesterday. so i went got to the house and pondered what that could be. then it dawned on me, plugged muffler. i went outside and looked somebody had already took the cat out and put a piece of straight pipe in where that was and the crappy looking muffler was on it, but still had the flange on the pipe right b4 the muffler where the cat was. i disconnected the bolts and dropped it. sure as shit cleared right up. from what i was told by the previous owner that had it 2 months (just long enuff to destroy the tranny i changed out and put new brakes/fuel lines on it) that the person that had it b4 that had been fighting w/ it for a yr and couldnt figure it out. i have a feeling the cat came apart due to age and plugged up the muffler, after removing the cat the remainder was still in the muffler, created pressure and blew the flange gaskets. i recieved the trk w/ vacuum leaks etc and it wasnt breathing right, i fix all this and im shoving that much more pressure into the exhaust making the problem more noticeable, along w/ the engine thinking its under load and loading up on fuel as well. this happened to my 3.0 when the cats were stopping up, but since i didnt have a cat i wasnt even thinking about it. i have my fart cans (2 welded end to end) off my old trk that i will be putting on today as a temp fix til i get the money to take it to the exhaust shop and redo the whole thing, which is what i originally wanted to do w/ my money in the first place...hope this helps you buddy!

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

rurouni20xx, do you get a "service engine soon" light since you have no cat? I have a second O2 sensor behind my cat that may give me problems. I may get a pipe made to fit in place of the cat to see if it helps. Summit has a new pipe with cat for $170, so I'll get that if the cat happens to be my problem.

Something else I did the other day - swap in an instrument cluster with a tach! Works great, looks awesome, and only cost $20. :icon_thumby::headbang::yahoo:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

I'm done screwing with this thing. I'm just going to drive it the way it is, then swap in my 5.0 HO. I should have just swapped the 302 from the beginning. :annoyed::mad:

I took a gas tank with fuel lines from a '92 Thunderbird with a 302, set it on the ground next to the truck, connected the fuel lines to my fuel filter and return lines under the cab of the truck, wired it to the battery so it would run constant, and then unplugged the wiring harness to my Ranger pump... and it still does the same thing! So, I guess my fuel pump is good.

:icon_confused:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
no check engine light or cel whatsoever, thats what blew my mind. even when i took the muffler off and run a strait pipe it didnt throw a code, just ran like a bitch and sounded like a ford 9n tractor. now as a temp fix i put the two fart cans in line i had leftover from my other trk and i have no exhaust note except during decel, just thumps, so i think i shall call it thumper. im serious tho, all it is is bass thumps (then again the exit of the pipe is right behind the passenger seat under the cab so its thumping rather hard inside, but you can still talk normal over it, plus the power steering whine is louder during accel...)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New code today!!!

I got a P1506 code today. I get a P1443 every time I drive it, but that's usually the only code.

P1506 = Idle Air Control Over Speed Error

Outstanding.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
which means? you changed the iacv already, how can it be fkd up again so soon?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know. There could be some other reason for the code, and not the actual valve.

Things like this are starting to convince me that a 302 is the way to go.

BMXJEFF

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual

#1 I Have A 96 Ranger With All The Same Symptoms As You And Read Somewhere On Another Forum That It Was Worn Valve Seats And Guides,that When You Rev The Engine The Valves Re Locate Them Selves And Dont Seat Properly. Mine Idles Sweet Runs Sweet When Its Warmed Up But When I Rev It Up When Its Hot Or Cold It Will Die And When I Try To Start It Back Up It Turns Over Like Is Has No Compression For About 20-30 Seconds And Pop Through The Intake,but Will Eventually Start Back Up And Run Fine As Long I Dont Rev It. I Was Also Getting A 1443 Code And I Replaced All The Evap Hoses And Still Got The Code So I Checked The Gas Cap It Was Good And Found My Leak Was In My Filler Hose Between The Fill Neck And Tank I Ordered A New One On Ebay And Am Waiting For It To Arrive. I Was Trying To Find Where I Read About The Bad Seats To Read Up Somemore When I Found Your Post. If You Find A Cure Let Us Know As I Also Have Changed All The Parts You Have Listed.

Butch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the information, your symptoms do match mine. At this point I will believe almost anything. If you get your's fixed, be sure to post up as this thing really has me puzzled.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals