• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running ritch need fuel system knowledge.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so I'm running Ritch like fuel leaking out the tailpipe Ritch. If my ranger was an SR-71 Blackbird I'd be ok with it. Buttt its not and 9 miles to the gallon sucks. So I have a couple questions.

1. Does the high pressure inline pump run full time while engine is running?
2. If I have a fuel regulator on the incoming line set to 40psi would that eliminate the need for the return regulator? Or do I need to put it on the return side.
3. Could my valve duration be off?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The factory fuel regulator works fine and is in the right spot. Pull the vacuum line off to the regulator. Hopefully it has one. If it doesn't, that's a problem. If it does, pull the line off and see if it's wet with fuel. If it is, your fuel regulator is bad.

If it's ok and the vacuum line is hooked up properly, turn the engine off, get a rag and hold it around and over the fuel test port on the fuel rail. It looks like a tire valve. Press the valve to relieve the pressure, don't squirt yourself with fuel, try to soak and block it with the rag. Once the fuel pressure is gone Get a tire valve tool and unscrew the guts out of the test port. Get a pressure gauge and some hose, slip the rubber hose over the test port with the guts out of it, and use a hose clamp to clamp it on. Then run the hose up to the pressure gauge and attach it the same way. Turn the key to run several times, you should hear the pump kick on and the pressure should go right up. Start it up and read the pressure. It should be around the high 30's to low 40 psi. If it stays like this when it's running rich, you can dismiss fuel pressure as the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals