• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running Lean

jlb0716

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
about a year or so ago I fabricated a cold/ram air intake with parts I purchased at autozone. since then my check engine light has been on and its because the engine is running lean at terminal 1, which is the O2 sensor before the cat.

has anyone else had this issue? Im trying to decide if i want to change my O2 sensor in effort to resolve this issue.

any similar events and what was done to fix this issue.

jlb0716

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
no responses....?

guess im on my own on this one.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
about a year or so ago I fabricated a cold/ram air intake with parts I purchased at autozone. since then my check engine light has been on and its because the engine is running lean at terminal 1, which is the O2 sensor before the cat.

has anyone else had this issue? Im trying to decide if i want to change my O2 sensor in effort to resolve this issue.

the o2 sensor is fine..............the new intake has leaks or something and is messing with the MAF.....do you have an oiled air filter?............did you re install the air charge sensor?..............I would just put the stock airbox back on

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Put the stock intake back on....even when working properly they have no real benefit in that small an engine.

jhammel85

I'd agree with putting the stocker back on. If it's been doing it since you put that on, that's most likely it.

Besides your truck comes with a CAI pretty much from the factory.

jlb0716

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
so if I put the stock intake back on would ya'll recommend putting a K&N filter in versus using a paper filter?

jhammel85

Personal preference if you ask me. If you search for it, there's a huge thread with plenty of opinions on paper vs oiled.

I say, if you are mainly on the road, keep the paper. If it's an offroad truck that sees tons of dust an oiled air filter might be beneficial.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so if I put the stock intake back on would ya'll recommend putting a K&N filter in versus using a paper filter?
Personal preference if you ask me. If you search for it, there's a huge thread with plenty of opinions on paper vs oiled.

I say, if you are mainly on the road, keep the paper. If it's an offroad truck that sees tons of dust an oiled air filter might be beneficial.
for what it is worth I have been following a few threads about trucks that are having misfire issues when it is snowing out, when the snow is actually in the air.........it seems to have been casued by non oem air filters ie. k&N..........it has mostly been happening on the 4.0 sohc.........

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
for what it is worth I have been following a few threads about trucks that are having misfire issues when it is snowing out, when the snow is actually in the air.........it seems to have been casued by non oem air filters ie. k&N..........it has mostly been happening on the 4.0 sohc.........
my truck used to do that when it snowed or rained. the problems lies with a dirty MAF and dirty air intake tube. Fine dust makes its way through the filter and coats the MAF and air intake tube. Moisture (snow,rain) then gets into the dust creating an electrical short and shorts out the MAF electronics.
My truck did this bullshit in the snow and rain but was not affected during fog or a dry day. A ford tech told me about the problem and fix.
Take the MAF out and spray it with electronics cleaner and let dry.
Remove the entire black air intake tube and wash out with soap and water. I also used a brush to clean out all the dust inside. Air dry or at least make sure it's air dried before putting back on.
NO MORE PROBLEMS. Has nothing to do with non oem or K&N filters.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have been following this issue for a few years and a bunch of trucks. None of them had the issue in the rain, only when there was snowflakes. Most if not all of the trucks had after market airfilters. I think you idea of cleaning everything is good but I totaly disagree with your theory that the air filter is irrelavent.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been following this issue for a few years and a bunch of trucks. None of them had the issue in the rain, only when there was snowflakes. Most if not all of the trucks had after market airfilters. I think you idea of cleaning everything is good but I totaly disagree with your theory that the air filter is irrelavent.
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Greenpuss......Do us all a favor and take the wannabe alphamale costume off and put back in the closet. Act like an adult and maybe somone will listen to you

jlb0716

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I guess what I am looking for is to improve throttle response, more power, etc.. without having the issue of the truck running lean.

jhammel85

Once you put the original stock intake back on you might be fine. I think the MAF is leaning the engine out.

jlb0716

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
what about putting the stock intake tubing back in, but fabricating a mount for the after market filter since I already spent money on it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals