• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running a 3.0 with no cats?

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
The vehicle is a 97 Ranger 3.0 5spd. 197K miles. The truck still runs well. I keep getting a CEL saying that P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). Ive changed the rear oxygen sensor. I'm going to change the front two. If that does not fix that problem. Has anyone ran one of these with hollowed out cats? Does the CEL stay on? I had my cats off they still look ok but I'm not sure what else could be the problem.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The vehicle is a 97 Ranger 3.0 5spd. 197K miles. The truck still runs well. I keep getting a CEL saying that P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). Ive changed the rear oxygen sensor. I'm going to change the front two. If that does not fix that problem. Has anyone ran one of these with hollowed out cats? Does the CEL stay on? I had my cats off they still look ok but I'm not sure what else could be the problem.
Read this fisrt.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57083

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the engine was designed in the 80s after cats were required by law so the engine is designed with them there and will likely burn out your ehaust valves in your engine if you run it with out a cat over time do to the lack of back pressure that the cat provides to the exhaust system.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes I know it was designed to have cats. Neither of you answered my question. I want to know if I hollowed 1 or both of them out if my check engine light will come on. Im just curious if anyone else has done it and what their results were.

5spd Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yes the check engine will stay on. My wife's 2002 Explorer had (HAD) a hollowed out converter and the check engine light stayed on until the converter got replaced.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes I know it was designed to have cats. Neither of you answered my question. I want to know if I hollowed 1 or both of them out if my check engine light will come on. Im just curious if anyone else has done it and what their results were.
This subject can and will get you banned from this forum. This is a federal law issue and you wont get an awnser to any modifacations.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
The whole reason you are getting said code is because the cats are failing. Removing them will still show your computer that the cat is faulty. The myth that your valves will burn out because of backpressure is nonsense. Valves burn out because of too much pressure in the exhaust holding in heat. (look at turbo motors that run too small of an exhaust housing) Besides, the cat is designed so that it does not hinder flow/pressure.

Now, its not fair to just tell you what you did wrong and not give you any guidance on what you can do right. Now, we all know to replace the factory cats are scary expensive. You can go to the junk yard and hope the one you pick is good. Your best bet is to purchase a universal aftermarket cat and have an exhaust shop fit it. Call the manufacturer and they should guide you to a properly sized unit.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The whole reason you are getting said code is because the cats are failing. Removing them will still show your computer that the cat is faulty. The myth that your valves will burn out because of backpressure is nonsense. Valves burn out because of too much pressure in the exhaust holding in heat. (look at turbo motors that run too small of an exhaust housing) Besides, the cat is designed so that it does not hinder flow/pressure.

Now, its not fair to just tell you what you did wrong and not give you any guidance on what you can do right. Now, we all know to replace the factory cats are scary expensive. You can go to the junk yard and hope the one you pick is good. Your best bet is to purchase a universal aftermarket cat and have an exhaust shop fit it. Call the manufacturer and they should guide you to a properly sized unit.
Ok thanks. i guess ill be weldin some other cats on. i have some from a 94 ranger that may work. thanks :icon_welder:

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This subject can and will get you banned from this forum. This is a federal law issue and you wont get an awnser to any modifacations.
Relax... as far as I know we still have freedom of speech here in America, and it's not against any federal law to give advice about cat mods.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Relax... as far as I know we still have freedom of speech here in America, and it's not against any federal law to give advice about cat mods.
It IS against the forums rules. Read them.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Relax... as far as I know we still have freedom of speech here in America, and it's not against any federal law to give advice about cat mods.[/QUOT

Whatever. I posted a link to this not being allowed in thia "forum". You sound like one of those Lib as-holes. If you want to tell someone how to break the law then you are just a stupid as he is.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Easy guys he's open about fixing his truck legally. I'd much rather have someone on here accept and acknowledge the facts/myths concerning catalytic converters instead of the dumb redneck that is convinced that removing any and all cats has improved his horsepower and mpg then logging on and bragging to us all about it.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Agreed, cat removal is a "no no" on this forum.

However, high flow cats and a "yes yes" and whatever you do in your driveway is your business. Just don't bring it back to the forum. Cat threads have been banned before.

However, THIS kind of cat thread is okay.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

dont know if it is myth or not just passing along wat i have read from a few forums that involve this engine. this site and tcca are a few of them that have said that about exhaust valves in the 3.0

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I keep getting a CEL saying that P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).
The system has been designed with an upstream, and downstream (of the CAT) O2 sensor. If you hollow out the CAT it's like no CAT at all. You'll get the same code, as the downstream is reporting CAT efficiency and will look for different O2 signals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals