• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rubicon Dana 44

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone looked into using the newer Jeep Rubicon Dana 44 Axels to do an SAS with? They seem, on paper like they would be decent axels to use for a Ranger SAS swap. I am just wondering if anyone else has looked into them.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
unless you find a damn good deal, they're too expensive for what you're getting.

the only difference between a rubi 44 and a d30 is that the center section and inner axles are larger. from the knuckle out is the same as a d30. what always breaks on a d30? the outer shafts/u-joints.

so i'd rather just use a HP D30. parts are available anywhere and i know of 5 off the top of my head that i could have for less than $100

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think they went across the board with them, so in a couple years the prices of them should be coming down as the market floods.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
unless you find a damn good deal, they're too expensive for what you're getting.

the only difference between a rubi 44 and a d30 is that the center section and inner axles are larger. from the knuckle out is the same as a d30. what always breaks on a d30? the outer shafts/u-joints.

so i'd rather just use a HP D30. parts are available anywhere and i know of 5 off the top of my head that i could have for less than $100
this.
if you can get a d44 front and rear matching combo cheap, go for it... rubi's are locked and 4.10's. they are nice axles for what they are. however most people want like 3 grand.. and for 3 grand you can build a nice 14 bolt/kingpin 60 locked and geared... yeah, not worth the rubi 44's unless you can get them CHEAP.

in the future, if they go down pricewise... maybe. until then, not a chance for the going price.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm not sure, but I think he might be asking about the JK axle.

If I recall correctly, these have some sturdy parts like 32 spline shafts (with 30 or 32 spline outers, can't recall), a 1.625" pinion shaft (same as the 8.8"), and are hi-pinion, but have weak housings (makes sense, nearly everyone sells gusset kits for them).
The JK axle IIRC is 65" wide however, putting it within half-inch of an F-150 D44, and has a less-common 5x5.0" lug pattern.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
They don't take a standard D44 gearset so gearing selection is rather limited and expensive. Sure they are better than standard fare jeep stuff but the tried and true standard D44 would be cheaper and easier to work with in the long run.

Matt

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It is in fact the JK axels I am talking about. Looking at what you get for the money they did not seem to bad to me. A buddy can score them at cost for me. putting them right around 1k each. That is complete brake rotor to Rotor. I did not look into gearing options as of yet but have toyed with the idea of grabbing a pair.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The rubicon axle are in there own group as for parts, meaning width and gear sets. IIRC they are 1.5 inches wider per side than any other 44's. The gear sets are known as "thick" meaning they are thicker than a normal 44 which are skinnier than the rubicons. All the rubicon gears should end in "T" or "RUB" and can only be had in 4.11, 4.56, 4.88 and 5.13 they are also factory electric lockers. The tubes are weaker but have outstanding selections for upgradable parts like "C" strengtheners and tube inserts which are put inside the stock tube for more strength. They all 5on 5 bolt pattern.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is in fact the JK axels I am talking about. Looking at what you get for the money they did not seem to bad to me. A buddy can score them at cost for me. putting them right around 1k each. That is complete brake rotor to Rotor. I did not look into gearing options as of yet but have toyed with the idea of grabbing a pair.
That is high for a pair of D60's IMO.

A guy has a D60 out of an old Dodge with a free 14b for $500 on craigslist up in Omaha right now.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^^^^
Is why IMO it ain't worth it

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
They are not bad axles if you build them up but for the same money you could just build 1 tons.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, do some skids and c-gussets with RCV's... and you're good. but.... pricey.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a D60u in the rear which ran $150 at a upullit rotor to rotor. I have another $400 or so into it for gears/labor and its welded. Also snagged a pair of spare 32 spline shafts ($75 shipped).

I have a bit more into the front $92 at upullit for the 1992 balljoint D60. $700 for a zip locker, $300 for gears/install kit. $50 for a used set of hubs because the OEM's were trashed.

I beat on both with 38.5x15.50's. Not even a minor issue from either axle. Those are both purchased, built and geared for less than those stock D44's your looking at. Not to mention the stock D60 shafts are stronger than a chromo set of D44 shafts...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals