• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough Shifting Into Reverse (M5OD)

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
New to me 91 4.0L Ranger with an M5OD. I've noticed it will occasionally shift roughly into reverse, making a harsh clunk as it goes into gear, with the clutch still fully disengaged. It doesn't happen every time, most of the time it shifts in smoothly. I don't understand why this would only happen occasionally, wouldn't it consistently shift rough if the gear was worn? It's only when shifting into reverse, other gears are fine.

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I would imagine your slave cylinder or pressure plate is getting worn out. The pressure plate fingers aren't depressing as far as they should and it's letting the clutch grab ever so slightly. Just enough to grind reverse gear. Or it could be something else in the clutch system being worn. Improperly bled clutch hydraulics, etc..

One thing you can try is to shift into 5th gear right before you shift in to reverse, without releasing the clutch in 5th. Every single time. On the Tremec T5 (not used in Rangers) transmissions this helps avoid any grinding in reverse because they use the same synchronizer. I'm not sure if the M5OD is the same in that regard, but it's worth trying, and if it works then it would be a good habit to develop.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I’m not mistaken. A good m5 should have a lockout between 5th and reverse.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There is a lockout but if you go into 5th, then back to neutral, then into reverse you'll avoid the lockout. It's only there if you go straight down from 5th to reverse.

My M5ODs have done this in the past too. I'm not sure if it's a sign of a problem or not, I suspect not. I think it has more to do with the direction everything spins... when there is a load on the gears in one direction sometimes they will clunk when the load is removed quickly.

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
There is a lockout but if you go into 5th, then back to neutral, then into reverse you'll avoid the lockout. It's only there if you go straight down from 5th to reverse.

My M5ODs have done this in the past too. I'm not sure if it's a sign of a problem or not, I suspect not. I think it has more to do with the direction everything spins... when there is a load on the gears in one direction sometimes they will clunk when the load is removed quickly.
Thanks, yeah I’ve been doing this all week and it’s been working. I’m also missing the bushing on the clutch lever, I’m wondering if that might be keeping the clutch from fully disengaging.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals