• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough running engine cured with throttle body cleaning.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The engine would run rough and have a low idle speed around 500 RPM. It wouldn't do this coasting down the road in idle, only when the truck wasn't moving. So I removed the intake tube to the throttle body and cleaned the throttle plate (both sides) with a hard bristle toothbrush and brake clean. Then used a brake clean soaked towel and held it with a pliers and cleaned it further. I also cleaned the hole in the throttle body as well. This seems to have fixed the problem. It runs much nicer now. FYI for anyone with this problem. I also lubricated the throttle linkage crap with WD40 while I was in that area.

I'm assuming the rest of the intake is dirty. So I'm going to run Seafoam intake cleaner through it.

hoppy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Could be that you wiggled some wired just the right way and that may have made it run better? I was having a problem with my 2.3l sputtering lurching and jerking, turned out to be the TPS connector. Wiggled the wires one way and it would run great, wiggle them a little different direction, and the thing would stall out.

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I didn't hit TPS, but I'm going to put a little Di-electric grease in there just to be safe. The throttle body was very dirty. The engine still isn't running perfect but the difference is drastic. I'm hoping after the intake cleaner it's running better than new.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didn't hit TPS, but I'm going to put a little Di-electric grease in there just to be safe. The throttle body was very dirty. The engine still isn't running perfect but the difference is drastic. I'm hoping after the intake cleaner it's running better than new.
IACV and MAF

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
IACV and MAF
Well the improvement was drastic, so my thinking was any issue with the MAF is out of the question. (IMO) The IACV is on my list of things to check out. Should I clean it? Replace it? It looks straight forward to tinker with.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well the improvement was drastic, so my thinking was any issue with the MAF is out of the question. (IMO) The IACV is on my list of things to check out. Should I clean it? Replace it? It looks straight forward to tinker with.
clean the IACV , MAF, EGR, make sure the PCV.. rattles......

1994_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
clean the IACV , MAF, EGR, make sure the PCV.. rattles......
IACV & EGR I'll be on that. MAF needs to be cleaned with something special? The PCV is cheap for these things I though. I'll just replace that if it's cheap like autozone says it is ($2.99 + tax)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals