• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rough ride

redblazerx78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 2wd splash, not lowered. It rides rough and is bouncy, I just put good shocks on it and its still a lil rough.
Could the springs be shot at 265K?

I dont know what else to replace.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you bounce it when shocks were off?

That would give you an idea of how stiff the springs are

First defense against a stiff ride is tire pressure, tire maker may say 32psi but its YOUR tire, so try 28psi
Tires absorb the smaller bumps, over-inflated tires cause harsher "feel" to a vehicle

Springs are rated for the weight they need to support, its called "sprung weight", in cars that's pretty easy to calculate, weight on each axle plus 4 passengers spread out between the two axles

Pickup trucks are often over sprung, because they have a 1/2 ton rating for the bed, so they have springs rated for the weight of the rear of the truck PLUS 1,000 pounds more
So when bed is empty they are very stiff

Springs work by the weight they support being enough so that the spring flexes when you hit a bump, the weight of the vehicle above the spring holds the top of spring in place so bottom can go up and down absorbing the bumps
If spring has too high a weight rating then when you hit a bump spring doesn't flex/compress, it just pushes the vehicle up, so "stiff ride"
That's what can occur in the rear of a pickup truck

Shocks do not hold any weight, they are there to prevent a spring from continuing to bounce after hitting a bump
So with shocks not connected when you bounce the corner of a vehicle it should easily be pushed down and come back up, same reaction if wheel in that corner was pushed up, easily deflected up, like when you push body down
If you can't easily push down on a corner with your 150+ pound body weight then that's the ride you will have, stiff
Shocks can't change that

It cheaper for truck makers to put in a set of leaf springs rated for the full 1,000 pound extra weight
So that's what most pickups have
YOU can get lower rated leaf springs with an added overload spring to get a soother ride when bed is empty
OR
YOU can add weight to the bed until you are satisfied with the ride, although MPG will be less hauling around the extra weight, lol

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Not sure what you drove before the '93 Ranger, but the truck is almost 30, and trucks back then didn't drive/ride like trucks do today.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What tire pressure are you inflating your tires to? Use the number marked on the sticker that is stuck on the door jam or the door, not the max pressure number on the sidewall of the tire.

I’ll 2nd the remark about old trucks vs new trucks when it comes to ride. If the tire pressure checks out, it’s probably just how the truck is. Trucks don’t ride like cars because they are sprung to carry a load and not have the rear end sag.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals