• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough idle on start up

1998vulcan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I'll introduce myself as I'm new here. My real name is Daniel, I have a 1998 Ranger 3.0 4x4 and I'm from Cape Breton Nova Scotia.

Anyway, I'm having a issue with my ranger. When I start the truck up (especially cold start) the idle goes real rough for a few minutes. For the first few minutes after starting the truck it will idle at about 1300 rpm and every 5-10 seconds or so it will drop right down to about 200 rpm and almost quit. Also it was blowing alot of black smoke.

So far I have tried new down stream o2 sensor, maf, plugs, wires, PCV valve, air filter, fuel filter, and resetting the computer. The plugs and wires seemed to help with smoke but the rough idle is still there.

So I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue on a 3.0 and what the fix was? I'm thinking it could be a fuel pump or possibly the upstream o2's. I'd like to have a second opinion before I spend more money on parts I may not need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1998vulcan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Hi I got a video of the problem here is the link. For some reason the problem is still there but it seems to be less aggressive since last time I posted. I scanned the truck but the Scanner is saying "OBD2 Not ready" Any ideas? I am stumped at this point.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals