• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough idle and stall 94 manual

Tali99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my ranger sat for some months. I would occasionally start it up and idle it and move it. When I started driving it again I got on the freeway and drove about 30 minutes when I had a sudden loss of power and stall. I was able to start it for a moment with a very rough idle some movement then stall. Towed it. After that it would not turn over. Only code was either maf or o2, cant remember lost the sheet. Replaced fuel filter, didn't help. Unplugged maf which allowed vehicle to start but run rough and stall at lights unless I gave some gas. Replaced maf but no change. Replaced 1 oxygen sensor and repaired starter (a component had come unscrewed). Wouldn't start/run still unless maf was unplugged. Once maf unplugged Started up like a champ with no idle issues. Plug in maf dies immediately. Let it idle for about an hour (battery was dead) and then it reverted back to not idling without pumping gas. Driving under 45 around block was no issue but loss power and stalled trying to go higher. The again no start. Tightened down the bolts at head exauhst. Now idle and runs only with maf plugged in. Could get to 45 everything seemed fine driving around and stopping. So I decided to push rpms a little harder, shift later. And back to square one. Loss of power, jumpy idle, stall, turn over once then nothing. Now I replaced 1 sensor, the one that is supposed to be between the cat and muff is not there, can't even find wires or a hole. The pipe with muff does look newer with cat. Not sure if I should try to put one in or ignore it since it was like that before this problem. Thinking air issue. Looking for suggestions for my next step.

Beccab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I had a similar problem over the winter. I couldn't go up hills. (My entire city is hills) or over 45 coasting. it would also randomly do this in good weather. I figured it was a dirty battery terminal, since I could pop the hood clean them off, or discount and reconnect and it would fire up. Occasionally it wouldn't and I'd try again in a few minutes and fine. This past week we found a leak from the fuel pressure regulator, so we are currently dealing with this. When we opened it up i was actually missing o rings this entire time. Now we can't get it started without spewing gas out of it.

STPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My credo
N/A
That’s a tough one to narrow down. Since the truck sat for a long time it could be a lot of things, start narrowing it down and checking working components off the list. I would start with the basics, inspect plugs, coil pack and timing belt. Check for any intake or exhaust leaks and obstructions. Check fuel pressure at the rail and make sure the pump is turning on too. Check battery and alternator for correct voltages. Check all vacuum lines and EGR valve/ IAC valve for leaks and proper operation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals