• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough Country, messing with me!

TheUndeadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Alright, so here's the deal. i lifted my 2wd '96 ranger with a 4 inch Rough Country Suspension lift. it had blocks and shocks in the rear and all the fancy drop brackets and the like up front. it figures i pull a cheap move and buy a cheap lift, i expected cheap quality, but these shocks are a ballsy move on Rough Country's part. they beat the hell out of you. i only lifted the back for now, no floor jack ATM so i had to wait, but i took it for a spin, no bed, and NO weight on the a$$ end, and i swear my head bent my roof out and ruined my headliner. i almost broke a nut with my seat-belt and bruised my cranium. the shocks max out too easily, did i get screwed?
i was almost thinking of going with some bilsteins, i've had good experiences previously, but what should i do??? i know putting the bed back on and finishing my wanna-be-cage would make the ride nicer but whats the deal with RC sending me shocks that aren't long enough?
any suggestions on how to fix it or what shocks to buy? is not a highway truck, it is strictly trail riding.
i'm stuck folks, anything would help. my head and lower regions would thank you.

norcals91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If the shocks are allowed to fully extend or compress driving around town, your going to have a rough ride. That said, Rough Country shocks are notoriouly stiff. I've had bilstien 5150's before and they were smooth. I would try a different shock, contact rough country if you think you got the wrong length shock, maybe they will upgrade you for the hassle.

TheUndeadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
okay i contacted rough country, they said these shocks are direct fit, they should've worked fine but i did notice on my friend's ranger, his shocks looked longer, the overall length of my shocks (fully compressed) is about 16 inches, his were roughly 20. maybe they did send the wrong length but they don't wanna fight about it. i was looking at a set of 5160's remote res and all that, 8 inches of play, should be ideal, no?

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i only lifted the back for now, no floor jack ATM so i had to wait, but i took it for a spin, no bed, and NO weight on the a$$ end, and i swear my head bent my roof out and ruined my headliner.
yeah i would expect this becuase you have no weight on the rear. put weight on the rear like it's supposed to be and the ride will be much better.

TheUndeadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
how about the bed being bolted back on with two rail-road ties in it? hah the bed didn't help the ride, and the railroad ties made it feel sticky, if thats even the right word for it, it just didn't want to compress/decompress. so i vote bilstien. F**k carrying around 400lbs of wood just to get a decent ride feel......

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals