• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough country “minor cutting” question

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know what “minor cutting” is required for this kit? I’m debating on wether to get this kit or the super lift kit.... any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

CUracing

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you download the instructions and read the part about where to cut?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I did read thru the instructions and they are very informative... the only mention of a “cut” is clearance for the torsion tool.... just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience with this specific issue... I’ve always used a 2 jaw puller or something similar to do my bars...

Mhonkisz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5in Rough Country
Tire Size
285/70R17
I did this is my driveway, may have been one of the first to do it, spoke with customer support a lot, they even corrected the instructions a bit based on my installation process.

I’m no professional by any means but good planning will ensure a fairly straight forward install here. Also, I can’t praise RC enough when it comes to their customer service, they really took care of me.

Cutting really is just for tool clearance, it’s not much, it’s not near anything scary or anything. If you have an angle grinder you’ll be fine. I would probably recommend getting their torsion bar tool though.

Let me know if there’s anything specific you’re not sure about still.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Man I appreciate your input, my biggest concern was the “cutting” that was involved, which isn’t a huge deal if clearance is all it is.
Ive done the super lift kits and they didn’t involve any cutting.
Ive written RC a couple times and haven’t gotten any response (hence me asking y’all) lol

Mhonkisz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5in Rough Country
Tire Size
285/70R17
Hmm... I wonder if they arebeing effected by covid19, I’ve always had a quick response from them. Not sure if I’ve ever emailed them, usually I use the chat on their website or I’ll just call.

No problem. If you’ve done other kits, you’re skilled enough to do this kit too. Not sure if you get rust in northern Idaho, but I’m in the Chicago area and honestly the rust was a bigger pain than the cutting lol

edit: grammatical

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah man the rust is pretty bad here too ... I’ll probably just call them for a quicker response... is it also true that you have to use the 17” wheels?

Mhonkisz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5in Rough Country
Tire Size
285/70R17
Honestly, I’m not sure. If I had to guess I’d say no, but I’ll try to crawl under there and take a look at the clearances. I am running the recommended wheel and tire size, it’s sufficient for what I wanted.

Let me know if there’s anything specific I should check or if you want a picture of anything. Otherwise I’ll poke around and just see if I notice any potential issues.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
At this point I just purchased it and now I play the waiting game... says it will be here on Friday the 15th.... we shall see

CUracing

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On most IFS front suspension lifts you have to cut the driver lower A-arm mount off to make room for the diff after it is lowered from factory position.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Unfortunately the company I bought the lift from Never responded to me so I had to request a refund and now we are going to wait till after the 302 conversion is done to do a lift.

Tater55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On most IFS front suspension lifts you have to cut the driver lower A-arm mount off to make room for the diff after it is lowered from factory position.
This is correct. You will have to make a small notch on your driver side lower control arm mount. The rear mount to be exact. I just recently installed the RC kit myself in my backyard on my 2000 Ranger. The cutting that they mention is necessary so your front diff drop bracket fits. I used a sawzall and made small straight cuts parallel to each other, then pulled them all off with pliers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals