• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rotors getting VERY hot

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I have an ongoing problem of the rotors getting hot. Almost too hot to touch. master cylinder and a bleed job.
When you replaced the master & the booster did you alter the booster push rod at all? It IS adjustable, if by chance the replacement master & new booster has placed the cylinder piston closer to that push-rod that may be your issue, there is now an interference contact & the master piston cannot retract to it's proper *at rest* position.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Are the pads worn evenly? Your calipers might be the issue.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I cannot press the brake pedal most mornings until engine is running, thus creating vacuum to the booster, which would lead me to believe the booster/check valve was losing vacuum.
This just sounds normal - until it has vacuum it provides no assist, so it's hard to press the pedal. Unless it's much more extreme than normal.

I'm guessing you have air in the lines - air is compressible and will expand when warm, which applies the brakes slightly. That causes drag and heating.

But three lefts do.
Three is more than enough to screw anything up.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
This just sounds normal - until it has vacuum it provides no assist, so it's hard to press the pedal. Unless it's much more extreme than normal.

I'm guessing you have air in the lines - air is compressible and will expand when warm, which applies the brakes slightly. That causes drag and heating.

+1 air in the lines. bleeding in some fresh brake fluid wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe some high temp stuff.

NebRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Did some running around this morning, was able to move the pedal before starting the truck, (so it had vacuum) so hopefully that issue has been resolved. Checked rotors for heat, just by hand until I get ahold of a temp gun, but they are signifigantly cooler than they have been. Now I wish I had taken a temp of them prior. Cool enough that I can leave my fingers on them for a few seconds, so much better. It still has a pretty short pedal stroke, and pretty abrupt braking. No frost this morning so no stuck brakes, or its possible that could be resolved also.
I appreciate all the responses.

NebRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
were the old pads worn evenly?
did you replace just the calipers or calipers & brackets?
if just calipers did you clean & lube the slider pins?

how about the rear brakes, warm or cool?

jack the front up, engine off.
spin the wheels, too much resistance?
engine still off, hit brakes. wheel stops immediately?
release brakes, wheel releases immediately?

repeat with engine running.

if you think there is residual pressure in the lines try opening a bleeder. does the fluid run out or squirt out?
does the wheel turn easier with a bleeder open?

are the pads so tight in the brackets that they can't move?

for testing purposes you can disable the ABS by disconnecting the connector(s) at the front of the frame. follow the cables.

you mentioned rotors and hubs separately, 4WD? (shouldn't matter)
pjtoledo
The old pads were evenly worn
Just calipers, cleaned and lubed along with pins, always
rear brakes are cool
I generally crack open the bleeders before getting pedal pressure, just to make sure they crack open before applying pedal pressure. No surge of fluid.
yes, rotors and hubs seperately, 4wd
Thanks for the input

NebRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
When you replaced the master & the booster did you alter the booster push rod at all? It IS adjustable, if by chance the replacement master & new booster has placed the cylinder piston closer to that push-rod that may be your issue, there is now an interference contact & the master piston cannot retract to it's proper *at rest* position.
That was my initial thought also, measured the master and booster and made adjustment to the booster rod, set it at about .025 free play. I was rather disappointed when I pulled the old booster out because it measured almost the same.
Thanks for the reply

NebRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

I have not had this issue until recently, if the check valve is working properly, shouldn't the booster hold vacuum?
I suppose air is a possibility, I have done 2 complete bleeds in the last month, replacing and removing the master cyl, and have only seen what I would say is normal air from the removal and replacement of the master. Have used right at a quart each time and bleed each corner well after seeing any air. I would rather bleed longer than not, as brake fluid is cheap.
Thanks for the input.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have not had this issue until recently, if the check valve is working properly, shouldn't the booster hold vacuum?
I suppose air is a possibility, I have done 2 complete bleeds in the last month, replacing and removing the master cyl, and have only seen what I would say is normal air from the removal and replacement of the master. Have used right at a quart each time and bleed each corner well after seeing any air. I would rather bleed longer than not, as brake fluid is cheap.
Thanks for the input.
No check valve is perfect, and to be useful it only needs to hold for minutes, not for hours overnight. A tiny leak would not matter much. I've certainly felt the brake pedal fall as the truck is started before.

NebRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No check valve is perfect, and to be useful it only needs to hold for minutes, not for hours overnight. A tiny leak would not matter much. I've certainly felt the brake pedal fall as the truck is started before.
Fair enough, mine has just not done it until recently.
Thanks

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My truck didn't move for two days... Booster still had vacuum.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My truck didn't move for two days... Booster still had vacuum.
Yeah, they can do that too. But if it had the tiniest of leaks, say just enough to leak down in 2 hrs, what would it matter? Even if it had no check valve at all it would not cause the brakes to get hot, you'd just have random and variable brake assist. It'd be weird but not match the original symptom.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yeah, they can do that too. But if it had the tiniest of leaks, say just enough to leak down in 2 hrs, what would it matter? Even if it had no check valve at all it would not cause the brakes to get hot, you'd just have random and variable brake assist. It'd be weird but not match the original symptom.
No check valve would be really bad news if the engine quit and you needed brakes... its foolish to tell people you don't need the check valve.

I never said anything about the booster causing a sticky brake... I specifically said it sounded like two different issues he was looking at.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No check valve would be really bad news if the engine quit and you needed brakes... its foolish to tell people you don't need the check valve.

I never said anything about the booster causing a sticky brake... I specifically said it sounded like two different issues he was looking at.
Who the hell ever told anyone they don't need a check valve?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Who the hell ever told anyone they don't need a check valve?
I went back and read again... while you didn't actually say to take it out... you don't need it. You do say if it leaks a little... no big deal.

Pretty much everything related to your brakes is a big deal... and the OP asked if it should hold vacuum in the booster. The short answer is YES. Not if it doesn't it's OK.

OP... if that new booster won't hold a vacuum... I would buy a new check valve... cheap insurance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals