• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rotary?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There was a mazda truck racing where I raced my first Ranger. I thought they said the motor was swapped in. That wankel engine sounded intense! He did really well but. only showed up for about 2 races.
It would work much better in a drag racing type situation.
Did you know that Chevy built a prototype Corvette with a 3 rotor Wankel?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
rotary re

the rotary swap is interesting i have seen one in an 89 ranger 2wd and they replaced the engine and tranny w/ a 6 speed out of a wrecked 97 rx7 rz model, it was sick to say the least, the twin rotor engine w/ oversized twin turbos cranked out 637 hp on the dyno sheet and the rear end was geared 3.98, produced around 135 ft lb torque, cant remember the exact mods done to the engine but it was fun to say the least, guy ended up being tight on money and sold it later, i rode around in it, the bed was cut out and had two seats and a makeshift dash i guess to lighten it up, was lowered and basically set up like a drift trk suspension wise w/ oversize brakes, basically from what i could tell he took the body off the trk and dropped it on the rx7 frame w/ engine and tranny on it, the old car was rear ended and shoved the rear bumper thru the back glass, the rear end was salvagable and had a new driveshaft made, and used a fluidyne f150 radiator, but since the engine was so small you had all the room in the world to do whatever else you wanted, he short dumped the exhaust underneath the passenger door, loud raspy but fun to ride in. if you want my opinion, if you have a wrecked one where the body is fkd but the rest is there, go for it, its worth having fun w/, but keep in mind that its going to act like a sports car, not a trk hauling stuff, but will haul plenty of ass!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
637HP and only 135ftlbs of torque?

Wow that would be fast once you hit 20,000RPM.

I dont understand the point in useing a rotary when a 351W would pull a ranger around just as good. But to each there own.

later,
Dustin

captanjacksparrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First off, I'm new here and I must say that this is the most addicting cite I've ever been on. I just bought a 03 xlt and love it. I also had a 91 xlt. Great trucks! So my question was, have you ever seen a rotary engine in a ranger and how tough would it be to do the swap. I was watching a show tonite and a rx-8 has a 1.4L 240hp rotary. Thats what like 80- 90 cubes?! Just curious..
A rotary swap into a new ranger is dumb from the power side because what ford did last, build a 3200lb 260 hp v6 Ranger? a 2826lbs sequential twin-turbo Madza RX-7 rotary would drastically over power a 1983-1985 Ford Ranger"2". my old 1983 wieghed 1200 lbs with the missing I-4 rated at 75hp!!! and 95ft/lbs!!?!!!?!!?

Danmarchbanks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Have a 2010 black xlt someday.... some day...I want a 13b swap. Used to have a rx and miss the chop... mixing oil in my gas....and turbo technology is waaaaay better than the stock stuff now.... lookup repu burnout on the cleetus channel. Thinking mazda grill and badge swap. Instead of ranger it would say mazda b1300...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals