• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rooster the 1992 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9L 4X4

Rooster26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4”
Tire Size
31x10.5r15
No, that side is fine (not ideal, there's better and there's worse options...), it's the one for the other suspension beam pivot, go to THIS PAGE and look at that, there are ways to help with issues possibly caused with the drop plate which we can help with if needed...
Thanks. I read that page. Looks like I have the Rough Country lift kit. Need to fix that before I try any off roading. Right now I’m just driving back and forth to school, practice and work.

Rooster26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4”
Tire Size
31x10.5r15
That really is a cool truck. I like your style of scavenging parts to use and replace. I enjoy my ranger very much as well.
Thanks. My brother has a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport and he and my dad got most of the interior from junk yards. A lot of body components too.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I forgot to mention, second gen (don't listen to haters, true second gen is '89-92 :)) is my favorite, I've had my '90 since '99, we've been through a lot and it's been through a lot of changes, I think the only part I haven't had completely removed is the dashboard and inner fenders and some of that underhood wiring... several engines, different frame, 4 rear axles (first swapped from the original 3.08 gears to 3.73's then frame swap 4x4 got me 4.10's then went to 5.13's in Explorer axles)...

Anywho, have fun and it sounds like you're trying things and that's great, not many people do stuff themselves anymore, if I get bored I'll see if I can find one of the posts 4x4junkie made about modifying that drop plate lift to be safer, I mainly wanted to let you know before you pierced the diff... you can lower the bump stop on that side to help it from happening but that's not a guarantee...

I think I have that rough country lift with a skyjacker passenger drop bracket, don't know, I got my lift for $500 on craigslist 13 years ago... I've beat the heck out of it, wrecked it, ran into a log lengthwise on the passenger side tire that bent the radius arm drop bracket, fixed all that and it's still going... I have lots of things on "the list" but haven't gotten that far yet.

That truck is an oddball, 8.8 in back, TK transmission when the M5OD was already in full swing, strange...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had that tailgate on my 87. It had no tailgate at all when I got it (free because it was eaten up with rust) The first couple months spent under it wit a chipping hammer and wire brush, safety glasses, and cheap spray paint.
Saw an ad in newspaper about a tailgate for $50 and went by there. He brought it out in a box. It was brand new and insurance had sent it after he'd sold the truck. I said if it will fit I'll buy it, haha, it fit like a new glove

Those auto hubs likely just need a little oil. Maybe rinse it with some gas, then pour a bit of transmission fluid in there and spin the insides a bit. Use at least one or two of those hub locks on there in case you get a flat and have it fixed somewhere. That was my first lesson on mine. They gave it to a guy who knew nothing about one and the hub came off and he spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it back together, and it was in a tire shop I couldn't even get close enough to see but the confused looks on his face (my last stop there) Those lug locks or whatever they're called are not that hard to get off, just use a couple tiny screwdrivers to grab a couple tabs and twist while pulling out on it, get a few threads out and wrap a doubled paper towel on there and back it right off of there.

Good luck with your truck man

Rooster26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4”
Tire Size
31x10.5r15
I had that tailgate on my 87. It had no tailgate at all when I got it (free because it was eaten up with rust) The first couple months spent under it wit a chipping hammer and wire brush, safety glasses, and cheap spray paint.
Saw an ad in newspaper about a tailgate for $50 and went by there. He brought it out in a box. It was brand new and insurance had sent it after he'd sold the truck. I said if it will fit I'll buy it, haha, it fit like a new glove

Those auto hubs likely just need a little oil. Maybe rinse it with some gas, then pour a bit of transmission fluid in there and spin the insides a bit. Use at least one or two of those hub locks on there in case you get a flat and have it fixed somewhere. That was my first lesson on mine. They gave it to a guy who knew nothing about one and the hub came off and he spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it back together, and it was in a tire shop I couldn't even get close enough to see but the confused looks on his face (my last stop there) Those lug locks or whatever they're called are not that hard to get off, just use a couple tiny screwdrivers to grab a couple tabs and twist while pulling out on it, get a few threads out and wrap a doubled paper towel on there and back it right off of there.

Good luck with your truck man
Thanks! I actually do have those locks on the hubs! I plan on trying to clean them first before I try them.

Rooster26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4”
Tire Size
31x10.5r15
I forgot to mention, second gen (don't listen to haters, true second gen is '89-92 :)) is my favorite, I've had my '90 since '99, we've been through a lot and it's been through a lot of changes, I think the only part I haven't had completely removed is the dashboard and inner fenders and some of that underhood wiring... several engines, different frame, 4 rear axles (first swapped from the original 3.08 gears to 3.73's then frame swap 4x4 got me 4.10's then went to 5.13's in Explorer axles)...

Anywho, have fun and it sounds like you're trying things and that's great, not many people do stuff themselves anymore, if I get bored I'll see if I can find one of the posts 4x4junkie made about modifying that drop plate lift to be safer, I mainly wanted to let you know before you pierced the diff... you can lower the bump stop on that side to help it from happening but that's not a guarantee...

I think I have that rough country lift with a skyjacker passenger drop bracket, don't know, I got my lift for $500 on craigslist 13 years ago... I've beat the heck out of it, wrecked it, ran into a log lengthwise on the passenger side tire that bent the radius arm drop bracket, fixed all that and it's still going... I have lots of things on "the list" but haven't gotten that far yet.

That truck is an oddball, 8.8 in back, TK transmission when the M5OD was already in full swing, strange...
Thanks for the advice! Think I found what you are talking about. Have somethings to learn before I try and take it off road.

Last edited:

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You named your truck Rooster, eh? Am I the only one thinking of Alice in Chains when I see that? :LOL:

Nice work on the truck, by the way.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's one of the times he posted about the fix he did, might be a bit overkill but would definitely do it, might at least give some ideas.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31x10.5r15
Sweet truck dude! Ive had my 1991 STX for years and I've just now gotten back to working on it. It's come a long way from what it was. I've got to finish the lift next weekend. I'm doing Skyjackers 2" suspension lift.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals