• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roof rack build

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Quick and easy roof rack build. Wanted a larger rack for overlanding and i did not want it to go on the stock cross bars. I don't like how high it would have sat off the roof. Did it all for free with spare material but I priced it out at $150. Hoops are made from 3/4 emt. Light weight but strong when you have enough contact points. Cross bars are imc which is slightly thicker but still lightweight. I used 1/4" plate for the uprights connecting the hoops. Probably little overkill but it's what I had lying around. Some heavy expanded metal for the bottom. That's the most expensive part. Home depot sells 4 packs of d rings I used to extra tie down points. The tricky part was the mounts. I used 6 pieces per foot using 1/8" bar and 1/4". Some light gauge steel for the logo that covers my crappy offset bends. Finished with rattle can bedliner. Rack sits about 2 inches off the roof and it's very strong. I can jump up and down on it no sweat.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Be careful welding on electrical conduit. It is galvanized. Should be ok with good ventilation from the outside.

OSHA Requirements for Welding Galvanized Steel

Galvanized steel is coated by zinc, a metal that when heated and inhaled, can cause fever, nausea, and coughing, known as metal fume fever. When welding with a zinc-bearing base or filler metal, OSHA requires employers to provide general or local exhaust ventilation systems.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Those rail mounts do look a bit tricky... lots of work to get four alike.

I have the factory rails on my Bronco II... was hoping there would be something off the shelf that would work. I really haven't looked very hard for options.

If I couldn't find something suitable... I figured I would just use flat steel that would slide into the channel... weld tabs to that to mount a crossbar or roof rack... drill holes in the flat steel and weld nuts to it so a bolt could lock it to the rail.

That project is down the to do list a ways...

Nice job overall... thanks for sharing.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sweet.

-Jazzer

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Those rail mounts do look a bit tricky... lots of work to get four alike.

I have the factory rails on my Bronco II... was hoping there would be something off the shelf that would work. I really haven't looked very hard for options.

If I couldn't find something suitable... I figured I would just use flat steel that would slide into the channel... weld tabs to that to mount a crossbar or roof rack... drill holes in the flat steel and weld nuts to it so a bolt could lock it to the rail.

That project is down the to do list a ways...

Nice job overall... thanks for sharing.
That sounds like an easier option actually ha.

Primosboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 efi v6
Transmission
Automatic
Be careful welding on electrical conduit. It is galvanized. Should be ok with good ventilation from the outside.

OSHA Requirements for Welding Galvanized Steel

Galvanized steel is coated by zinc, a metal that when heated and inhaled, can cause fever, nausea, and coughing, known as metal fume fever. When welding with a zinc-bearing base or filler metal, OSHA requires employers to provide general or local exhaust ventilation systems.
Yeah I worked for a welding shop for a few years. They claim drinking milk beforehand lines your throat and protects you. I've never gotten sick so must work lol.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Good work - I used the factory "tracks" on my roof to mount my rack as well. I took two pieces of 1/2" square tubing and made my own cross bars that bolt down to the little tie down nut plate things and then used hose clamps to secure the rack to the square tube. Kept the rack really low which was my goal.

I have heard about the milk trick, never tried it, I just make sure I am welding galvanized in a very well ventilated area and never have my head right over the work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals