• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roof Noise? Flexing? Buckling? 1985 BII.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
Next on the list is this roof buckling sound.

I'm about 20 minutes away from disassembling the interior to replace the headliner and audio and want to get some insight on what to look for with regard to my roof noise.

I'm not sure exactly when it happens, small bumps in the road I guess, but the roof makes a buckling sound.

Is there a structure I should look for that's possibly missing?
Most likely warped roof metal?
Is this a common noise?

1985 Bronco II with a 4" body lift.

I look forward to any insight you guys can provide.

Thanks, its hard to use the search function for something like this but feel free to link me to any relevant threads.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's hard to tell exactly what kind of noise you mean, but there are a few noises that are characteristic of the BII roof. It's a large, mostly un-reinforced single-ply sheet of metal. If you have the roof rack it has a little more support.

The big one I have noticed is that if I have the windows down when I hit 55 mph there is a great big POP that is the roof blowing up like a balloon.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
It's hard to tell exactly what kind of noise you mean, but there are a few noises that are characteristic of the BII roof. It's a large, mostly un-reinforced single-ply sheet of metal. If you have the roof rack it has a little more support.

The big one I have noticed is that if I have the windows down when I hit 55 mph there is a great big POP that is the roof blowing up like a balloon.
Ha! That's kind of funny. I had this 65 Mustang when I hit 55 the headliner would bubble down like a balloon.

The noise is kind of like someone walking on the roof. Not as frequently as steps but that sound of metal buckling or flexing.

So because its just a large, un-reinforced piece of metal, do you recall any solutions that may have come up for this?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My b2 used to do that. There is a support across the roof that is originally glued to the roof sheet metal that becomes unglued over time. I re-glued mine and it solved the problem.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
My b2 used to do that. There is a support across the roof that is originally glued to the roof sheet metal that becomes unglued over time. I re-glued mine and it solved the problem.
Awesome news.

I didn't get into it yet hopefully that will be something I see.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine makes that noise on big bumps. The PO had a spare tire sitting on home made roof rack that pressed down on the roof. I'm guessing that it bent the support under the roof.

Strange side note to this is that since I replaced the sway bar bushings the bumps don't hit as hard and as such the noise happens hardly at all now.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This would be my guess too.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
Mine makes that noise on big bumps. The PO had a spare tire sitting on home made roof rack that pressed down on the roof. I'm guessing that it bent the support under the roof.

Strange side note to this is that since I replaced the sway bar bushings the bumps don't hit as hard and as such the noise happens hardly at all now.
Interesting... something else to look for.

I didn't go digging into it yet. I guess I was a little eager thinking I would have everything I need.
Haven't made my mind up on what to use for headliner material.

At first, I thought something utilitarian like a vinyl or rubber, easy to wash.
Then I thought if I'm going that route, why don't I go gaudy and put fake blue gator everywhere?
But then I had an idea where I thought maybe a grey/blue tweed would look nice, too.

I haven't settled yet...

For the support piece that was glued to the roof, what kind of glue did you use, where do I buy it and how long did it last?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't remember exactly what glue I used, it was a long time ago. I think it was construction adhesive, available at any hardware, or home improvement store. I only had to do it once and I had the b2 for a long time.

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Saw someone used some 'Great Stuff' spray foam for this purpose.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
I don't remember exactly what glue I used, it was a long time ago. I think it was construction adhesive, available at any hardware, or home improvement store. I only had to do it once and I had the b2 for a long time.
Ok... thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Saw someone used some 'Great Stuff' spray foam for this purpose.
I like this idea. I use a similar product when installing windows and doors in houses. It works as a glue and some types are flexible so won't crack or come apart if the roof moves a bit. Make sure to cover everything underneath as the stuff will stick to anything and won't come off once dry. It does expand quite a bit, but is easy to cut away once dry.

Bampity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Credo?
I like this idea. I use a similar product when installing windows and doors in houses. It works as a glue and some types are flexible so won't crack or come apart if the roof moves a bit. Make sure to cover everything underneath as the stuff will stick to anything and won't come off once dry. It does expand quite a bit, but is easy to cut away once dry.
Doesn't that stuff retain moisture and is not a good idea to use with metal?

Seems like it would be a good idea to use practically everywhere in the body panels for sound deadening if not. I thought I read somewhere not to use it, so its been kept off my ideas list since.
I'll try to find a source on that...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmmm...Hadn't thought of water retention. If it's a closed cell foam there would not be any problems with water. It's definately something to check into. Some of the foams I've used say to spray the object with water for better adhesion. And in your instance I can't see any water contacting the foam after installation so no problems there. I can see instances of people using foam to fill gaps in rockers [and sound deadening] and such areas and that would create a dam, so water couldn't drain, creating more rust problems. In fact I've done just that to prevent mud from hitting me while driving....in a already rusted bucket.

Last edited:

Aerkusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1991, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I did some reading and you're totally right about the closed-cell and open-cell foams. You definitely shouldn't use open-celled foam on metal. However, according to these somewhat reputable-looking sources I found, Great Stuff and other Polyurethane sealants ARE closed cell. I also checked Great Stuff's site, but they never plainly said if it was open cell or close cell and I'm not a chemist.

http://allthumbsdiy.com/reviews/spray-foam-insulation/reviews-greatstuff-vs-daptex-vs-touch-n-foam

http://www.drenergysaver.com/insulation/insulation-materials/choosing-spray-foam-insulation.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals