• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rolling coal

kgreenjinx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Have a troubleshooting question. My 15 year old picked up a 91 4x4 2.3 short regular cab. been sitting for some time ( 3 years) due to electrical issues. We got them figured out. Now on to other issues since it is running. It is billowing black smoke. I mean fog the neighborhood and get you high on raw gas.

We replaced the FPR, which is a whole different story trying to remove that thing. No change. It will run and drive and idle. It does die randomly at stops or if you rev it and let off quick. I have put fresh fuel in and ran seafoam through it in the tank.

What would be the next items you would troubleshoot? Injector stuck open? I have not pulled plugs yet to look for wetness as I could not get a flooded start sequence test to work by flooring it. I replaced them and wires when we took possession of the truck. I know temp sensor for dash gauge needs replaced as gauge is off. would that throw computer off and affect anything Thanks for any advice

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Ethanol gas sux. Hell on injecters sitting for periods of time. It's possible they are boogered.....Bad pcm temp sender and map will put you rich as well .. keep on your line of movement.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seafoam will make smoke as it cleans. I don't know if it will since you put it in the gas tank but when you put it into the engine and makes a TON of white smoke. How long have you had it running while it was dumping smoke? Few minutes? an hour?

kgreenjinx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the responses. I put the seafoam in to help break up if it was the injectors, as a last ditch effort. We have driven it about 10 miles on that tank around our country mile section and let it idle quite a bit. No white or blue smoke. Looks like someone is rubbing a genie lamp and a black cloud is coming out of his exhaust. On a side note. Is there a flooded engine clear sequence for for a 91? So I can check for leaking injectors
. I had read for later ones you hold the accelerator to floor while starting. This does not work.
Thanks

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Leave it sit for a few hours, pull the fuel pump relay and start it. If it runs, your injectors are bad. A 91 does not have "clear flood mode" as far as I know (aka flooring the accelerator). The fuel pump relay trick is fool proof either way.

kgreenjinx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Leave it sit for a few hours, pull the fuel pump relay and start it. If it runs, your injectors are bad. A 91 does not have "clear flood mode" as far as I know (aka flooring the accelerator). The fuel pump relay trick is fool proof either way.
Thanks. Been so busy haven't had time to run the test. However, I went ahead and ordered a set of injectors and sender and sensor. I'm going to spend some quality time with the boy replacing these. Cheap $100 bucks and either way will be more reliable. They will be here Monday then we will see. Thanks again all

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals