• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Roller rockers for 3.0

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Im intrigued by roller rockers, but haven't really come across a decent walk thru or gotten an idea of how many people have done them. To me, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to stick with a motor I know the history of and know is running great than do a swap, so I'm looking towards roller rockers since it seems fairly straightforward. I'm curious to see how many of you 3.0 guys have them and your results and if you think it's worth it. Also, I'm wondering what roller rockers you used since I've seen people mention 1.7:1, 1.8:1, and some have mentioned something about 5.0 mustang rockers, so any help is appreciated.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Roller rockers have been a popular upgrade for awhile. Most that have used them love them.
Some say that 5.0 rockers work fine, while others say that if you look closely there are geometry problems that result in early wear, and possible damage. It's up to you really. I'd definitely do your research befoe you spend any money on them. Morana is the only person offering anything that will bolt onto the 3.0, but even his are parts designed for another engine, rather than specifically made for the 3.0. I have a set of his 1.8's, and I'll be checking very carefully when I install them to make sure that everything lines up properly.

If you decide to try the 5.0 rockers, you'll need to either re-tap the heads for the standard fastener, or try and find a metric fastener that will work with the metric threads in the 3.0 heads.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thats why I started this thread. I know people out there got 'em, but nobody on here seems to have mentioned how installation went, results, or any difficulties encountered... just waiting for people to chime in.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
I had bought 1.7 full rollers for a 5.0 pedastool mount. the geo. is off
I still need to buy lash caps, metric hardware, longer pushrods.

I put it on the back burner because I cant find the hardware and pushrods...

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I thought the pushrods aren't changed...

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Since the geometry is different on the pedstal & the stud mount 5.0 rockers, you have to either change the pushrod length or add lash caps to get the geometry correct or your just sliding the rocker tip across the valve tip and might even loose lift after installing these. It will definitely wear out the guides, and damage the valve stems and roller tips if you don't correct the geometry issues.
Either way these are not just a bolt on item.

No one has reported on Morano's rockers to verify that they are correct on the geometry issue.

Those may be the only option for a direct bolt on without changing other valve train components

JP02XLT

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I found a write up here:

http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=84419

It's really thorough but was hoping for more end result explanation as far as power difference and what not or any issues he may have had, otherwise there's little out there as far as people saying "Yes I have them, I've had them X,XXX miles and no issues and they were worth the money." Some feedback from others says that the engine is a ton smoother and quieter after roller rockers and there are more noticeable gains than from an underdrive pulley set up.

2wdmuddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beefy 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
ive gone back and forth on the decision of the 1.8 rockers myself and finally decided against them for the fact that my truck has 206,000 miles on it and the cam probably already has grooves worn in it, i feel the rockers wont help. ive started looking into the cam and decided thats my way to go because of the changes in lift duration and overall performance gain. yea its a little more work but when i have to pull the motor for a rebuild or whatever it will be worth it.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
ive gone back and forth on the decision of the 1.8 rockers myself and finally decided against them for the fact that my truck has 206,000 miles on it and the cam probably already has grooves worn in it, i feel the rockers wont help. ive started looking into the cam and decided thats my way to go because of the changes in lift duration and overall performance gain. yea its a little more work but when i have to pull the motor for a rebuild or whatever it will be worth it.

I'm sitting at 120,000 miles - a youngin for a 3.0 from what I understand - so if anything, I think I may just keep an eye out for a FFV 3.0 from a Ranger or Taurus, put it on a stand and built it up slowly as a project and a standby so I can leave my DD alone until I get where I want and just do a swap and be able to leave the harness, transmission, and computer alone. I was considering roller rockers because those who did do them love them and I wouldn't have to tear very deep into the motor, but I think it'd be easier to have a second block to fiddle with and have my fun and leave the original unmolested.

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to hear more feedback as well, but just like 2WDmuddin I have recently dumped the idea because of fears of wear and/or other engine issues related to the extra lift. Plus... they are very expensive from Morana, and that's the only place I can find em.

I'm simply gonna keep my DD untouched internally. I have exhaust, intake, and pulleys. It made a very small difference but enough to have more fun shifting through the gears. I also have a short throw shift that I'm trying to re-engineer to prevent it from leaking all my tranny fluid everywhere.

It's hard to find easy and cheap add ons to be honest. If you have time, energy, and money you can have a lot of fun but for a few bucks there's not too much u can do.

Rims and body work are probably the only remaining things on my to do list...

2wdmuddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
beefy 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
thats the way im goin, eventually i will get another moter and build it to the way i want it. bur first ime gonna put a 5-spd and finish the body work on mine too. i did find out though, certain machine shops can give you custom cam grinds and possibly help you find performace parts other than morana. good luck on whatever you decide though

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals