• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rodent nest, won’t start, no Visible wiring damage

trucklet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
1988 Ford ranger XLT 2.9 manual RWD, Never hesitated to start prior to today. Last driven yesterday and no observed abnormalities. Engine turns over and tries really hard to start but sounds very sick. Question of possibly more gasoline smell than should be present under the hood with moderate cranking. Rodent nest uncovered between air filter and passenger fender, after thorough vacuuming no obvious wiring damage is noted. All visible wiring under the hood inspected, same lack of findings. I don’t really know where to start in troubleshooting, I can’t really imagine that the rodent activity is not implicated. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

First test when there is a Crank but No Start is the 50/50 test
Pull off the large air tube from the intake
Spray fuel into the intake, gasoline, quick start(ether), carb cleaner...........
Try to start
If it starts and then dies you have a fuel delivery issue
If it doesn't start/fire its a spark issue
50/50 instant results

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Check the intake tube and airbox and make sure its not chocked full of nesting material

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I can’t really imagine that the rodent activity is not implicated. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA.
Critters are PIA. More than likely that bugger or buggers have another nest in the airway. Excess fuel smell should mean you're getting gas - you just need some air maybe. Good luck.

trucklet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

First test when there is a Crank but No Start is the 50/50 test
Pull off the large air tube from the intake
Spray fuel into the intake, gasoline, quick start(ether), carb cleaner...........
Try to start
If it starts and then dies you have a fuel delivery issue
If it doesn't start/fire its a spark issue
50/50 instant results
I sprayed starting fluid into intake, raced to the driver seat as fast as I could, no Start and no apparent firing. So I have a spark issue.

in view of the likelihood that the rodents created a problem with spark, and their only apparent activity was in the vicinity of the relays and wiring harnesses adjacent the air filter, what can I/should I evaluate next?

trucklet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Critters are PIA. More than likely that bugger or buggers have another nest in the airway. Excess fuel smell should mean you're getting gas - you just need some air maybe. Good luck.
Thanks rumblecloud and rusty ol ranger. I read your responses after II replied to RonD. That would be an easy fix, I’m eager to check it out. I glanced at the air filter but did not explore the airway otherwise. But, when I followed through with the starting fluid into the air intake, air would have bypassed any obstruction near the air filter, would it not?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
Yes, it would have - that's puzzling. Odd coincidence that it ran fine before rodent-nado.
Check spark. Plug a plug or two and have a look see. When is the last time you fueled up? Just guessing at this point, but maybe bad fuel? Still, starter fluid would eliminate that maybe.
Please keep us posted.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You don't have to be fast, the fuel doesn't evaporate that fast unless its over 120deg outside

You will need a Volt meter or test light
Check to see if the Coil has 12volts with Key On, should be a red wire with green stripe, this wire powers the coil and distributor parts, no 12v = no spark

Wire comes from ignition switch, under steering column in the cab
Ignition switch gets 12v from a Fusible link on the starter relay(solenoid) in the engine bay, but if this was broken then no dash lights with key on, which you didn't mention

trucklet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it would have - that's puzzling. Odd coincidence that it ran fine before rodent-nado.
Check spark. Plug a plug or two and have a look see. When is the last time you fueled up? Just guessing at this point, but maybe bad fuel? Still, starter fluid would eliminate that maybe.
Please keep us posted.
It has been driven fairly regularly. My son-in-law filled the tank the day before this all began. He drove at least four or 5 miles after filling it up, and when I asked him specifically about any problems, he said it seem to be functioning normally. The next day when I tried to start it, it sounded absolutely awful. At that point it did seem to cough a few times, MAYBE marginal ignition at that point but yesterday when I did the starting Fluid test there was no hint of any firing.

trucklet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
You don't have to be fast, the fuel doesn't evaporate that fast unless its over 120deg outside

You will need a Volt meter or test light
Check to see if the Coil has 12volts with Key On, should be a red wire with green stripe, this wire powers the coil and distributor parts, no 12v = no spark

Wire comes from ignition switch, under steering column in the cab
Ignition switch gets 12v from a Fusible link on the starter relay(solenoid) in the engine bay, but if this was broken then no dash lights with key on, which you didn't mention
I wasn’t paying much attention to the dash lights but the “check engine“ and alternator indicator lights definitely were on.
Will do. Thank you for the specific guidance.

trucklet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
It took me a while to get back to do the electrical testing on my 88 ranger, partly because it’s parked in an open carport and the weather in the Pacific Northwest has not been conducive to outdoor wrenching. I have a handful of cheap multimeters, grabbed one and proceeded to check the voltage of the ignition wire at the coil coming from the starter:11.6 V. I said to myself, “HMMMM“— Better check to see if the multimeter calibration is off. What better place to check than the Battery? Same reading. Lightbulb becomes illuminated in brain – Sometimes there can be adequate current to turn over an engine but not enough to get it over the hump to start. I put a charge on the battery and now she starts!

I had been drawn down a rabbit hole by the scenario of a truck that was devoid of any problems regarding starting or running smoothly and had been driven regularly. And there was that fresh rodent nest that led me to believe that there had to be wiring damage somewhere. No accessories were left on overnight and at that point, it wasn’t particularly cold here.

I wonder if the rodent activity could’ve created a current drain sufficient to draw down the battery? In any case, I was remiss in not honoring the dictum that an engine needs fire, fuel, and air. There simply wasn’t enough fire being supplied from the primary source.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work, thanks for the update

Good car/truck batteries will be 12.3v to 12.8volts
12.8v when new
12.5v after 3 years
12.3v after 5/6 years and time to shop for battery sales

12.2v and lower have less than 50% capacity so will leave you stranded at some point

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wonder if the rodent activity could’ve created a current drain sufficient to draw down the battery?
It sounds like you're determined to blame those pesky squatting rodents. :)

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
Glad to hear you sourced the problem and let us know.
Too many times we never know "the rest of the story."
(See what I did there...)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I wonder if the rodent activity could’ve created a current drain sufficient to draw down the battery?
Yep. The rodents were using your battery to charge their phones.

Another "thanks" for posting the update. It's always good to hear what the resolution was, and the thread may be helpful to somebody else down the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals