• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rocker arm rails

heisler0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Finally starting to reassemble engine and was dismantling the rocker arm assemblies to clean and inspect. What I found was several oil holes clogged with 35 years of slug which resulted in worn spots on the rails. The rail are easy enough to replace although I was wondering about just rotating rail and putting the top on the bottom? but I think for $30 a piece I will just replace. My question is in the book about rebuilding and modifying a ford v6 it suggest honing rocker arms to allow more of an oil gap. I this something that is suggexted with a stock rebuild? only upgrade from stock is mild cam.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The rocker arm shafts have small core plugs pressed into each end. You drill a hole in one end, insert a metal rod, and strike it with a hammer to remove the opposite plug. Then you can clean out the inside.

Let me know if you need a part number for replacement plugs or wear specs. The worn originals may be better than present aftermarket replacements.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would think if the shafts are worn... the rockers would be also. Honing out the arms a bit to just clean them up probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals