• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RockAuto DISTRIBUTOR

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Hello,
Grabbed a new distributor from RockAuto.com, there are a few things worth noting, the price was less than I expected at $95 🧐

IT is a Duralast GOLD, which is the house brand for Schuck's/Kragen/O'Reilly's; the box reports the actual manufacturer is BEST Parts INC. of Memphis TN (made in China sticker adjacent, so they imported it). I hope that I don't need to rebuild it with Ford guts.

The first thing that struck me is the ignition module fasteners are Philips head, verses the hex heads. The ignition module is the gray colored version, which is inspirational. It included the hall effect sensor, a black cap and rotor with brass conductors.

Just advanced the 2.9L to 0° TDC and am now pulling my old distributor. I will report back after he (my truck's became known as "Anger" when the R was scraped of his RANGER windshield decal) tells me how much he likes it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you save the old one.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
I go about things differently than I used, some would suggest slower.

Comparing the 2 distributors, the Duralast is the thickness of a dime longer, I am uncertain this will have any bearing on it's performance.

Install was unexpectedly fast, plopped right in. I have experienced it going well and no going. It plopped right in, then the hold down bolt immediately threaded 🙇🙇🙇, I never know what to expect, just try and remain positive.

It was dark by the time I had it in so I called it Friday night. Saturday I had errands and issues to smooth over before I could lay my hands on the Ranger.

When the time came, thankfully, I was in an extraordinarily serene state. It had been apart for a few days and I needed to give it a good look over before cranking it. I try not to expect it to fire right up as it is a 50/50 chance to be 180° out, setting the timing from the crank without pulling a valve cover.

I cranked it, it didn't start. I remember depressurizing the fuel system, in a moment of haste, I gave the intake a blast of starter fluid to get the party started more expeditiously...good cranking, no starting. I wasn't mad yet so I climbed out to see if I could spot something and reflect on the events of the day, to maintain not getting mad.

Good fortune shined on me as I was thirsty. I went a mixed up some blue flavored Kool Aid and filled two chilled 25 oz glass mugs.

I punched most of the first volume then walked towards the truck, only then seeing a small stream of fluid pluming away from under the engine. I immediately realized how very lucky I was that it didn't start immediately. If it had I may have over excitedly hoped in and driven it like that, not noticing the fluid plume.

Upon a closer look, coolant was running down from the top of the block. From the location, it could be 1 of 3 things: the lower intake, the T-stat or the coolant return hose.

I serviced the coolant and was able to see the coolant trickling from the lower portion of the return hose on the thermostat housing.

I had to stop and address other more life impeding matters, so I say "so far so good".

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Isnt duralast autozone?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
@rusty ol ranger ,
Ah, yes, thank you for correcting me, the Duralast is Autozone's line .)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals