• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rock Auto

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Just to mention, that I got refund on the mismatched drum including shipping for the replacement. They do actually reply email (a person).
There's a few things they don't have but for most things I think I'd check them first, prices seem competitive.
Here are the two drums in original shipment, you see they are same part# but diff packaging and naming, which is no big deal, but, they were actually different... some details in the construction and mainly when I weighed them and they were about 3 lbs different, that told me, they ain't the same.
IMG_20220817_113246978 (7).jpg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Rockauto is pretty much the standard, not just because of the magnets either lol.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I've used them quite a bit, even done a return. Never had a problem.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The problem is that quite a few people here have had issues with returns through them. Sometimes it's just not worth it. So far my own purchases have gone well, but there are definitely some examples of rough transactions.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I haven't had an issue with having to return anything, but usually my orders are pretty cut and dried.
In looking for AC components to replace the system on my 94, Rock was lower then Amazon on every piece - which surprised the snot outta me. Even with shipping they were still less.

But yeah, I have heard some bad things with return items.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like Rockauto and I've never had a problem with them. However, someone there thinks they are making a political point by refusing to ship to certain places because they don't agree with something like local taxes or other local regulations. Recently, they decided they aren't going to ship a bunch of stuff to California because they don't like Proposition 65, which a requirement that a manufacture inform consumers if the product contains certain chemicals. If doesn't contain those listed chemicals notification is not required. So, I can't order Centric rotors that were manufactured in California because they state they don't have the paperwork for them, which is on the Centric website. I can't order Autolite spark plugs which likely don't require the notification, or Moog suspension parts, which they could obtain from the Moog website. And I'm positive any manufacturer would happily send them the paperwork they need since California is the largest market for auto parts. Furthermore, all those products Rockauto refuses to ship here are available at every auto parts store and every other online retailer.

I know that stuff is annoying beyond comprehension, but attempting to make a political statement isn't going to change Prop 65 in California, or the various local sales tax policies across the country. The only thing it accomplishes is making people order those items from another retailer.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've bought stuff from them and been generally satisfied. I had problems with one item twice so they credited me and suggested I look elsewhere, he assumed they had a problem with their stock. I just got some 390 cam bearings from them last week.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I like Rockauto and I've never had a problem with them. However, someone there thinks they are making a political point by refusing to ship to certain places because they don't agree with something like local taxes or other local regulations. Recently, they decided they aren't going to ship a bunch of stuff to California because they don't like Proposition 65, which a requirement that a manufacture inform consumers if the product contains certain chemicals. If doesn't contain those listed chemicals notification is not required. So, I can't order Centric rotors that were manufactured in California because they state they don't have the paperwork for them, which is on the Centric website. I can't order Autolite spark plugs which likely don't require the notification, or Moog suspension parts, which they could obtain from the Moog website. And I'm positive any manufacturer would happily send them the paperwork they need since California is the largest market for auto parts. Furthermore, all those products Rockauto refuses to ship here are available at every auto parts store and every other online retailer.

I know that stuff is annoying beyond comprehension, but attempting to make a political statement isn't going to change Prop 65 in California, or the various local sales tax policies across the country. The only thing it accomplishes is making people order those items from another retailer.
I understand your frustration. However, I'm pretty sure they don't sell a single part that I cannot order from Florida... or Alabama or Alaska or Arizona or ...

Well you probably get the idea...

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

It might be a political statement, but I'm doubtful. I would imagine that the cost/benefit analysis showed that it was more cost effective to not offer those parts to California customers than to go through the bureaucratic hassle of seeing what all inventory has to comply.

Or it could be they, like most people, see "Prop 65" and roll their eyes.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It might be a political statement, but I'm doubtful. I would imagine that the cost/benefit analysis showed that it was more cost effective to not offer those parts to California customers than to go through the bureaucratic hassle of seeing what all inventory has to comply.

Or it could be they, like most people, see "Prop 65" and roll their eyes.
It's as simple as requesting the informaton from the manufacturer. Every other website manages to do it.

The whole Prob 65 thing is a great example of good intentions with unintended consequences.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Since I quit working next to an autozone 5 years ago (and getting a great hookup), I buy 99% of my parts from rockauto. Last year I ordered a clutch for my wifes subaru. It was supposed to have a throwout repair kit included. Part number on the box was correct, clutch and pressure plate were correct, but the repair sleeve was missing and it had the wrong throwout bearing. It had definitely been opened. I think someone might have pulled a fast one on Rockauto and returned it. But I just exchanged it no problem. Of the $5k in parts I've bought from them over the last 10 years, that was the only screwup.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's as simple as requesting the informaton from the manufacturer. Every other website manages to do it.
By not having that cost overhead, it might be another reason why their prices are cheaper than most other websites. Or not, I just speculate.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I used to buy from them a lot. Now they are a last resort. Had a couple issues with returns/defective/mis-labeled stuff that mostly got ironed out. Got stuck on a couple things but it wasn’t really worth the hassle to pursue it. Then came the last straw. Ordered rear tie rods for mom’s Explorer. Most of the listings said “only for use with 17” rims or larger” or something to that effect. The ones I bought (at like $100 each) didn’t say, so I figured they must be the ones for 16” rims. Bought, installed, and as soon as I went to move it PSSSSHHHH! Both back rims got a nice new hole.

Contacted RA, or rather tried to. After considerable effort finally got to talk with someone who bluntly told me that those were for 17” rims or larger so it was entirely my problem. Went back on their site and sure enough, they changed the listing. So I was out like $200 roughly plus I still had to buy the correct tie rods AND two rims plus have the tires mounted and balanced. The brand new tie rods that only punched a hole in a rim each and got a little grease on them are collecting dust in my parents garage because I have no idea what to do with them.

About that time I also bought a new Delphi pump that came missing the sock and was defective right out of the box. RA pretty much said too bad. I said peace out, my business is going elsewhere.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I understand your frustration. However, I'm pretty sure they don't sell a single part that I cannot order from Florida... or Alabama or Alaska or Arizona or ...

Well you probably get the idea...
By not having that cost overhead, it might be another reason why their prices are cheaper than most other websites. Or not, I just speculate.
The requirement is the same for every business. And that is that they have to notify consumers if the product contains chemicals that are on a list. Rockauto does do this, but they are inconsistent about it. Here's one example where they have a warning for an ignition coil made by SMP:
And they don't have the warning there for the Motorcraft coil that is made by SMP:

I just wish they would trash the whole Prop 65 thing. Most people don't care, most people don't read it, and nobody is going to get cancer from an ignition coil unless it has a chemical in it and they break it open and lick it. Even then it's doubtful. This is a good example of implementing something with good intentions without thinking of the unintended consequences.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
nobody is going to get cancer from an ignition coil unless it has a chemical in it and they break it open and lick it.
Hey, it could happen! Why I'm feeling quite tempted at the moment. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals