• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rock Auto

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
what I hate is their default shipping is the u.s. mail, a couple of years ago it took over a month to get something, by the time I got it I couldnt return it if I needed to as it was past the return date. One other time it was just too confusing to figure out what I needed. ( tie rod ends & steering linkage for my 94 ranger) I ended up going with o’reilys because it was a hell of a lot easier to figure out what I really needed. Other than that its been ok. I make sure now to pick fed-ex for delivery, us mail should just be for mail, not packages!

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I've been using RA for years (about 15) and have been very happy with them but I do check prices on other sites. Sometimes it gets overwhelming with the number of selections for one part. The catalog is great for a reference too, since I get plenty of stuff from Amazon and ebay among others. I always try to bundle shipment locations with RA since that can really add up. Tough to do if you have a big order! I've got stuff on the way right now and a few things from Amazon too for the same Ranger project. I like the some of the Ford parts sites since I can get free shipping to a dealer and pick it up on my commute.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
A lot of my parts come from Autozone anymore just because I got a commercial account there. Didn’t really help much with prices, but now I talk to people who know what they are doing there and can get parts delivered to my door. I still get parts from other places, but that’s kinda handy to run into a problem, make a call, and get back to work until someone pulls in with what I need. Sometimes to me that’s more valuable than stopping work for a couple days to order it in. And if there’s a problem it’s not too far for me to go and hand them the part and ask why it’s incorrect. I don’t have to deal with someone like RA telling me because I ordered it two months ago and didn’t get to it right away that I’m out of luck.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Customer service everywhere is shit. I’ve used RA for years and got boned a few times. Biggest thing was on a Catalytic converter. I just shop around online to find the best price with shipping.

Do your due diligence, expect help from no one, and if you want to be able to look someone in the eye and tell them they fucked you, go to the parts houses closest to your house.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have a list of stuff I need for the 06... I might try RA one more time for these parts. I would like to spend my money there just because they are a vendor here. I don't have much expectations that they won't try to ship from several warehouse locations.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ve had a 100 orderers from RA and only had two or three orders that I had an issue with. However, I think I live closes to a warehouse, shipping is normally 1 or 2 days USPS. This might be a big reason I keep going back.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I have been using Rock Auto for about 14 years now, and for the most part have had great experiences with them. usually I order and 3 or 4 days later the parts are on my porch. like mentioned above, do your due diligence. the part that is frustrating with RA is the shipping, and if I am getting all the parts gathered for a steering rebuild, there are at least 3 warehouses that they are coming from. if you throw some other types of parts in there say cooling system and brake pads, you will likely get 2 more shipping locations added.

if it is going to be a huge order (such as the steering system that I did 3 years ago) I will definitely check amazon and parts geek for the pricing shipped to my door. so far I have not been able to beat RA even with multilple shippers. I have tied RA (within 10 bucks) on Amazon and one time the shipping on Amazon was quicker for just a bit more... but overall they are my major go too. I also use them against each other for makiing sure that that particular part does in fact fit my car. parts geek is kind of meh on telling you what parts fit, R/A and Amazon are usually pretty good but its good to back your research up to make sure.

AJ

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I recently used carparts.com to replace my MIL's fog light on her 2020 Toyota Highlander. The OEM part was only $58, ship[ping was around $10. Amazon wanted $250, free shipping, Toyota wanted a little more, but free shipping, RA wanted $250 plus shipping. The dealership was going to charge here $350 for parts and install. It took 20 minutes to remove a few screws for access, take out the old part and replace the new one.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i have used rock auto a bunch and never had issues with the parts being wrong. i have had stuff show up damaged but rock auto immediately sent a replacement when i sent pics of how the part was received.

i like the magnets too. i keep hoping to find a karmann ghia magnet but i haven't gotten one yet

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
i keep hoping to find a karmann ghia magnet but i haven't gotten one yet
Thought I had one. But this is the closest I have to a Karmann ghia.

20220330_144237.jpg

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I sent in pictures of my ranger & the escape in hopes of getting them back as magnets. Hasn’t happened yet. 😆

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
what I hate is their default shipping is the u.s. mail, a couple of years ago it took over a month to get something, by the time I got it I couldnt return it if I needed to as it was past the return date. One other time it was just too confusing to figure out what I needed. ( tie rod ends & steering linkage for my 94 ranger) I ended up going with o’reilys because it was a hell of a lot easier to figure out what I really needed. Other than that its been ok. I make sure now to pick fed-ex for delivery, us mail should just be for mail, not packages!
Their shipping can be inefficient at times. Five years ago I ordered about eight items from them, making sure they all came from the same warehouse so shipping would be inexpensive. Seven items in the cart where coming from the same warehouse. When I added the eighth item the shipping shot way up because the stuff was going to ship from three warehouses. Figure that out. Another time I ordered spark plugs, wires, and some wheel bearings. The shipping was $14.99 for the spark plugs and wires, but went down to $11 when I added the wheel bearings.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
I've been using them for over 10 years and they've been good. I just placed a $500+ order for new Monroe QuickStruts a few minutes ago for the Highlander. RA uses UPS Ground for anything heavy and I've never had an issue except the wrong hydraulic tensioner was in the correct box...they fixed that within 24 hrs at no cost to me. I always check to make sure all items will ship from the same location or I change my order. I had shocks come from 3 different warehouses and had 3 separate shipping charges on the same order. O'reillys wanted nearly double RA's price for the same struts!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Thought I had one. But this is the closest I have to a Karmann ghia.

View attachment 74360

that would be a nice porsche to have though. i am a fan of those also. i always look for the karmann ghia magnet because i have had two ghias and really like them.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've been using them for over 10 years and they've been good. I just placed a $500+ order for new Monroe QuickStruts a few minutes ago for the Highlander. RA uses UPS Ground for anything heavy and I've never had an issue except the wrong hydraulic tensioner was in the correct box...they fixed that within 24 hrs at no cost to me. I always check to make sure all items will ship from the same location or I change my order. I had shocks come from 3 different warehouses and had 3 separate shipping charges on the same order. O'reillys wanted nearly double RA's price for the same struts!
I really have no complaints about them. I wish they had a better direct line of support though. I ordered a set of u-joints and the wrong part number was sent. Their support consists of dropdown menus and nothing to type in, which makes it difficult to resolve issues. So, I selected the incorrect part sent as the problem and hoped for the best, as there wasn't an option to explain what incorrect part was sent. I received an email later than day in which had a link to a dialogue box on their website in which I could reply to, but they limited the amount of text I could type to about five words. I ended up typing something to the effect of I can't explain in five words with my phone number. Someone called and I gave the information about the wrong u-joints. I was told to keep the old ones because it cost more to send them back, and the correct ones were shipped out that day. I still have those u-joints (Moog/Precision 369) and I was hoping they would fit this ranger, but the part number on Rockauto state otherwise. So, if I ever buy another used Ranger I might have u-joints ready to go in it.

I've read in various forums that they've made it harder to get support than it was when I received the wrong parts. So, if you ever do have a problem with them you can thank the idiots who hassle customer service rather than just state the nature of the problem and how you would like the problem solved.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals