• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

[ resolved, no scam, just "oem" parts quality issues ].. "Rock Auto Scam" ?

Broo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had to return the very first order I made at Rockauto about 10 years ago. I received the right box part with the wrong part in it. It was obviously new, but couldn't fit. Don't know how it could have happened nor did they. I got the issue resolved over email. I got sent the right part free of charge with a label to return the wrong one. Since the parts crossed the border it took some time but all was fine in the end.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
things like direct fit cats technically dont exist unless its from the dealer and they still require modification...
Last year, I installed a complete new catalytic converter exhaust system from Rock Auto made by Walker. It included the "Y" pipe and everything back to the connection to the tail pipe in front of the muffler. I did have to press out my old studs that attach the rear converters to the "Y" pipe and reuse them. The system fit fine without modification. The "Y" pipe required a little muscle to fit the exhaust manifolds, but the fit was close enough that I didn't even have to get out the hammer. I was very happy with it until the hanger broke out of the pipe between the rear converters. That got resolved and I am back in business. There are systems that fit without modification. The cheap ones are typically the ones that don't fit properly.

I like to do my own work as much as I can but exhaust work is something I usually have a shop do, unless I can buy a complete system. I can weld but don't like the being under it because of the hot spatter. I installed a Gibson cat back when the truck was not even two months old. No welding required.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sweet how's the Gibson sound (which engine also) I've tried flomasters magnaflow and thrush on my 2.3 and magna flow sounds the least ricey. My new 3.0 came with no cats and a y pipe to duals... it sounds like a clapped out 350 chevy!!! So after I do the headgasket, I'm going to cut the y pipe out and put a 1 in 2 out muffler and keep the duals!!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Sweet how's the Gibson sound (which engine also) I've tried flomasters magnaflow and thrush on my 2.3 and magna flow sounds the least ricey. My new 3.0 came with no cats and a y pipe to duals... it sounds like a clapped out 350 chevy!!! So after I do the headgasket, I'm going to cut the y pipe out and put a 1 in 2 out muffler and keep the duals!!
I like the Gibson. It is not loud but enough that you can hear the exhaust note. I didn't like the kind of hissing sound of the stock exhaust at full throttle. It is still in good condition with almost 260K miles on it. The only thing that had to be repaired recently was the exhaust hanger.

The engine is in my signature but I can tell you anyway. It is a 4.0 SOHC. I have heard that the Gibson is louder on a 4 cyl engine, I don't know why.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I started using them quite a bit. Ordered some pretty random stuff. Always showed up. Returned a radiator once, it was never installed. Process went fine, got my money back. Sounds like random bad luck in your case.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Will be receiving the replacement today and will see how it is.
From seeing others stories about exhaust fitment complications, i see how this might have little or nothing to do with the supplier and more to do with a messy OEM parts world.
I'll change the thread title once i'm set with the part.

I'm assuming to receive a cat that still has the donut output type and not a flat end. I'll just go ahead and jump down the rabbit hole of using a 90-92 intermediary pipe and hope its downstream end can be connected in some fashion to the 89 muffler and tailpipe. Worst case is it doesn't, so those both also need to be replaced and i have to create new a new hanger situation.

Last edited:

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Part showed up, and with all three studs attached this time.
Same threading issue however, on all three. Supposed to be 10-1.5, nut goes on for several threads then gets stuck (truly stuck if not just hand tightened). Will need to die them all, but now i understand that this is par for the course.
Changing thread title to remove the misplaced sensationalism ..

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Did you try a 3/8” or 7/16” nut to see if it fits?

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
I recently bought both timing chain tensioners on my 4.0L from RA. They sent two left bank tensioners. One was in a box marked as the right bank. I went through their online return form and sent photos. They sent a new one within 48 hours and I returned the duplicate part. They credited me for the entire amount including shipping. Yes, it's a pain without phone or email support but at least the resolution turned out well. That was the first time of countless orders that I've had an issue though.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Part showed up, and with all three studs attached this time.
Same threading issue however, on all three. Supposed to be 10-1.5, nut goes on for several threads then gets stuck (truly stuck if not just hand tightened). Will need to die them all, but now i understand that this is par for the course.
Changing thread title to remove the misplaced sensationalism ..
I don't know if this is related to your problem, but I am pretty sure when I did mine the nuts were crimp nuts (self locking). They would go on freely until the crimp was hit and I had to use a wrench to get them on the rest of the way.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Supposed to be 10-1.5, nut goes on for several threads then gets stuck (truly stuck if not just hand tightened). Will need to die them all,

Did you try a 3/8” or 7/16” nut to see if it fits?
This. don't booger up the threads or weaken the studs by remachining the threads. get hardware that fits them you don't need to reuse the old hardware.

AJ

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
This. don't booger up the threads or weaken the studs by remachining the threads. get hardware that fits them you don't need to reuse the old hardware.

AJ
Agreed, and i wish that would have been the case! I brought one bolt (loose stud) to a good hardware store with bins of all nuts in all sizes and went through all metric and sae options by hand and with a wrench. If i recall correctly, 7/16 was the one that was closest, but it slid over the threads if tugged and could be pulled right off with some effort by hand. And when sliding it onto a 7/16 bolt in the store it was more snug and proper. That makes sense too because 7/16 is a bit over 11mm and these should be 10mm.
I wish i had taken close up pics of the threads to show what i mean, but the ID of the studs is a usable diameter for the first several threads, then suddenly the ID gets thicker and is wider for the majority of the bolt. You can see the thickness change without a magnifying glass or something. A wrench truly was not the solution, as i tried that one time with 10-1.5 and really cranked hard and it was on so tight that getting it off with the wrench was difficult. Essentially it was badly cutting new threads.
I rethreaded the studs on the replacement cat yesterday. It was slow going but turned out perfectly and the 10-1.5 nuts work nicely now. Attempting to install today with the new 1990-1992 intermediary pipe. Upon first glance it might all go together so fingers crossed.
There is some factory issue with those cat bolts. When i was on the phone with BRexhaust, i tried my best to tell them they would be smart to look into this but i know there's no chance that will happen on anybody's watch, so oh well.
I've done minor work on a few cars/motorcycles but never have had to dive this far into buy lots of OEM parts, so this is a learning curve for me in that regard.
Someone gave me a pair of real Ford Ranger farm truck mirrors in good condition the other day. They're way better made than the $20 identical looking ones sold these days!

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
New CARB cats successfully installed and broken in! They work very well it seems.

1990-1992 “intermediary pipe” does line up perfectly on both ends. Clearly this “1989” OEM catalytic was lumped into the standard 89-92 bracket of design, and most trucks in this gen will in fact have this intermediary pipe already since it’s 3 years of 1990-1992 production VS 1 year of 1989 production, so the cat does probably fit more 2nd gen trucks than not.

Was quite the pita to install just due to the fact that previously clamped around pipes make it difficult to get fresh pipes into them. Hadn’t thought of that. Had the remove the whole downstream exhaust multiple times to figure out how to firmly install each tube, and getting them fitted required quite a good bit of rubber mallet banging and even some filing.. But it’s done.

In the end I’m happy with Rock Auto. Shipping was fast, email communcation went well, and I’ll use them again. They need some kind of point of contact for everyone up front and that’s my only complaint.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals