• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rims for my 2003 FX4

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
im looking to get new rims and rubber for my 2003 FX4. i would rather go with 15x8's if i can get away with it. but not sure i can. i tried putting my tires from my B2 on to see if they would fit. 35x12.50R15 on 15x8 steel rims with a 3.75 back spacing and they did clear the calipers, but not by much. i would say maybe 1/4 clearance. the thing is that some of the local cops can get realy picky about tires sticking out to far so i need to get rims with a 4.5 backspacing for my ranger. also i would like to get aluminum rims. both of which i would assume would bring the inner wall of the rim closer to the calipers. so im not sure i could get away with 15x8 aluminum rims with a 4.5" backspacing on my 2003 FX4 ranger. anyone know for sure one way or the other about this?

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Stock ranger with stock tires seems to rub the darn wheel-well "splash guards"... does yours? My 98 ranger did the same thing as my 01 does.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
my Ranger came stock with 245/75R16 on 16x7 rims with 4.5" back spacing. no i did not have any rubbing issues. i now have a 3" body lift, and the same tires. im looking to go to a 33x12.50R15 tire on a 15x8 rim with a 4.5" backspacing if that will work. if not i will be doing 285/75R16 tires on 16x8 rims with 4.5" backspacing.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
interesting, I have the same exact size tires. I'm chalking you up as one that doesn't have the issue. i envy you!

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
i might have had rubbing issues if i had taken it off road all stock. even with the body lift i can stuff the shit out of the stock tires off road, so i assume without it i would have some rubbing.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine only rubs when I turn while backing up.

Bartowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No rubbing on mine, even when I had 245 65 16s on the truck - even off road. Supposedly the wells are big enough (on the standard 4x4, not sure about FX) to take up to 32s on the 16s w/o rubbing - I have not tried, just heard that from one of the engineers at the plant in Jersey back when I was buying mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals