• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rims and Tires!?!?!?!?!

theGreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1971
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6, 302 V8
Transmission
Manual
I own a 99 ranger extended cab 4x4 with a 4.0 and 5 speed. I have some crappy stock tires on it right now with ugly 15 inch rims. I want some bigger, more aggressive tires, and some better rims. so these are my questions:

1. I dont want to have to lift it, so how big can i go w/o rubbing? i was thinking 32 or 33.

2. Should i stay with the 15" rims? or go bigger?

3. I will be spending most of my time on pavement, but plan on doing a bit of sand and trail driving on occasion. What tires should i go with? I want something that looks aggressive, but is still street friendly... :icon_confused:

Thanks!!:pray:

5literbeater

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
1. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 31" tall tire
2. I think 15's and 31's can look good. But probably no bigger than a 17 IMO. But its up to you
3. I think a Toyo M/T would be a good all around tire for you. Look good. A little agressive but not too much. They dig decent in mud. And work pretty good in sand, just air them down a little and you'll be fine. And they ride pretty nice for the street too.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
dont get toyo mts for one they are way to over rated and for our trucks they weigh to much go get urself a set of duratracs they are a good all around tire now i would go with a 15 inch rim but thats me and ur ranger wont fit 33s stock nor 32s i think but i could be wrong

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I own a 99 ranger extended cab 4x4 with a 4.0 and 5 speed. I have some crappy stock tires on it right now with ugly 15 inch rims. I want some bigger, more aggressive tires, and some better rims. so these are my questions:

1. I dont want to have to lift it, so how big can i go w/o rubbing? i was thinking 32 or 33.

2. Should i stay with the 15" rims? or go bigger?

3. I will be spending most of my time on pavement, but plan on doing a bit of sand and trail driving on occasion. What tires should i go with? I want something that looks aggressive, but is still street friendly... :icon_confused:

Thanks!!:pray:
You will also need to regear since taller tires=less hp and gas milage. So add the extra expense of $500+ for the regear (just for one axle. Do you have have a 4x4? That's twice the expense). Stay at 15 inch wheels and don't go more then 31's to keep cost down, unless you really want larger tires.

5literbeater

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Just cause everyone has Toyo's doesn't make them bad. I'm just going with personal experience. They are a good tire. You won't fit any bigger than a 31 stock. You wont need a regear with 31's either. Your 4.0 will push those tires fine. I had a 3.0 with 35's and 3.73's. It worked fine. Maybe the other guy's 2.8 can't do the job but your 4.0 can just fine.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
5liter im not trying to argue im just going off what my friends truck does with 31 toyo mts and he has a 2006 with a 4.0- they are a heavy tire and since he is gonna be mostly on the road and hardly gonna do trail or anything i was thinking about weightso it wont kill his gas milage- i wasnt saying the tires suck i mean i have seen them in action and they work pretty damn good but also u gotta think i can get duratracs for 400 less than i can get toyo mts so idk how it is where u are but i like cheap lol

bigboyford1997

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 97 ranger with the 4.0 and a five speed i have four inch lift with 33 nitto mt 12.5/15 and they work great i do rub a bit. i also just have 3.73 and it pushes them fine

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I previously had a 2000 xlt extended cab 4x4 and had no lift and fit 265/75R16's no problem. Rubbed very very slightly at full lock. With the larger tires on 16 inches rims I didnt lose much MPG if any at all and I did not regear. I only had the 3.0 and it had plenty of power for me.

Also, the tires on the truck were firestone destination a/t's and i absolutely loved them. Only thing I ever got stuck in was a snow drift taller than my truck.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This might not be relevant but...

On my current truck (2002 4 cyl.) I had 16" wheels with 31" tires... ridiculous I know.... But I was actually getting about 28-31 mpg compared to the 24 mpg with the small stock tires. Yes, I did the mathematical calculations correct.. (I'm an engineering student, know my way around a calculator)....almost all of my miles were done on the highway which helped, and I was in 4th gear running 3k rpms doing about 72 mph. Worked out well for me.

ap3x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This might not be relevant but...

On my current truck (2002 4 cyl.) I had 16" wheels with 31" tires... ridiculous I know.... But I was actually getting about 28-31 mpg compared to the 24 mpg with the small stock tires. Yes, I did the mathematical calculations correct.. (I'm an engineering student, know my way around a calculator)....almost all of my miles were done on the highway which helped, and I was in 4th gear running 3k rpms doing about 72 mph. Worked out well for me.
Yep, I put 31's on my 94 with a 5 speed. My math tells me I'm getting 1-2 more mpg's when cruising over 55 in 5th. It still hauls ass. I have no loss of power complaints. I bet I could still light up the tires if I had 33's. A friend of mines chevy 5.3 (not stock) with 4.10's and 35's breaks the 20mpg mark cruising over 55mph. That truck doesn't have much off the line though. I've got him beat till 70-ish mph.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals