• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reviving my buggy

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Ya know... coming from the buggy world... the electrical system on open bodied vehicles takes a bunch of water intrusion. I would look over the entire electrical system... mainly all wiring/fuses/relays/switches/connections in the cooling fan controls.
Yeah, this is what I ended up doing when I got it running again. I think they finally may have just given it up. I am getting ECT readings so I know the ECU has the info, but the controller isn't kicking the fans on into high or low. I'm thinking about switching to a fan that has a PWM controller to provide more steady cooling and bypass the ECU in general.

Otherwise I'm worried that the thermostat isn't opening functioning like it should because I'm not hearing the coolant circulating, and/or have a nice air bubble. going to replace the ECT sensor as well just in case

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Looks like an LS, so I'm guessing it has the stock thermostat setup and everything, do you happen to have a heater hooked up to the two ports on the side of it next to the thermostat? As stupid as it sounds, it relies on flow between those two ports to cool properly... it's an inlet thermostat, some coolant flows across the wax pellet via the spring loaded bypass behind the thermostat but it doesn't flow good enough to get the thermostat working and you'll have some unsteady coolant temps... Believe me, it gets even stupider when you add water cooled exhaust manifolds for marine use... There's a $7 hose that has 5/8" on one end and loops around to 3/4" to go between the two if you aren't running a heater...

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Looks like an LS, so I'm guessing it has the stock thermostat setup and everything, do you happen to have a heater hooked up to the two ports on the side of it next to the thermostat? As stupid as it sounds, it relies on flow between those two ports to cool properly... it's an inlet thermostat, some coolant flows across the wax pellet via the spring loaded bypass behind the thermostat but it doesn't flow good enough to get the thermostat working and you'll have some unsteady coolant temps... Believe me, it gets even stupider when you add water cooled exhaust manifolds for marine use... There's a $7 hose that has 5/8" on one end and loops around to 3/4" to go between the two if you aren't running a heater...
I do have stock thermostat, but have that hose that goes between the two. When I replaced the water pump the old setup didnt have it, which was very confusing.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Is this thing OBD II?

Have a scanner that you can look over a data stream and maybe play with the output controls?

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
It is OBDII, and I actually got a little OBD hud unit instead of just using my scanner so I could monitor sensor outputs to see what happens. It's actually a pretty cool little tool https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GYLXJ1V

Not throwing any codes. I'm going to put a new thermostat on, new ect sensor, and bleed out the cooling system again this weekend just to see whats going on there because even with the fans off it shouldn't have the tems as high as it does

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Ok, threw some parts at it this weekend and everything was working well, but without a fan kicking on it wasn't cooling enough. Let it run without the rad cap on and it didn't feel like any air was in the system. Was able to feel coolant moving through the rad hoses while it was running. No codes or anything. but without the fans turning on the temps just keep crawling up.

Got one of these to replace my dead spal fans:

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Got the fan wired in today, and it turns off and turns on, so now I need to give it more if an extended test and see how it goes. It comes on a little later than I'd like but the process of changing it looks like a huge pain.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
So apparently the Derale controller is crap. It's not turning on consistently, so I wired in an override switch and put it up front to control it manually. I've gone through about 5 gallons of fuel and haven't had any codes or poor performance. Good whine from the belt or pulley, but who knows. Will tackle a few simple things like greasing all the rod ends before I go wheeling Saturday

Attachments

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Did you all go tire shopping together?
They all look brand new and same style.

Notice on the Blue buggy in the lead. Crew member hanging off driver side of the buggy. "Boy, if you're going to fart like that, you are NOT riding inside this buggy."

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
They all look brand new and same style.

Notice on the Blue buggy in the lead. Crew member hanging off driver side of the buggy. "Boy, if you're going to fart like that, you are NOT riding inside this buggy."
Funny, mine are the only new ones. In front of me are two or three seasons in, guy in front of him are one season but he just spent a month wheeling out west so they're really broken in, and the blue buggy is pretty old. Theyre all just wet and HDRed a bit from the googles so it looks flashy

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Tough end of the day for me but I got back on the trailer and managed to get it in the garage

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
How’d you like AOAA?

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
How’d you like AOAA?
man, it's BIG. We did some pretty fun trails there - couple of nice blacks that weren't crazy but enjoyable. I liked the scenery a lot on the trails. One of the rigs I was with ran balderdash which was pretty wild to see. he's in a rear steer buggy on 42s - the copper cage two buggies in front of me. I'd definitely like to go back again, wish it was a little bit closer and the roads to get there were a little nicer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals