• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Revised Spark plug firing order mod?

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I stumbled across this web site with a lot of good info on lima 2.3
http://www.hotrodhigh.ca/2300Shockin.html

I swapped the intake side spark plug wires as pictured, and i think i actually gained a few ponies. At WOT past 3k it seems to pull a little better. And it actually accelerates in 4th gear at 60mph.

I also noticed less stumbling on take off.

Anyone else try this?

Im kind of wondering if it just advanced the timing a degree or 2 if both coil packs dont fire at the exact same time

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's got waste spark, which means that coil pack actually only has 2 coils in it, not 4. So each time one coil fires, two plugs are sparking. It did not change the firing order, and did not advance the timing. Rather, the mod just has both plugs firing on the just the intake side instead of the intake and exhaust.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I remember reading a little on waste spark systems a little while ago. IIRC the spark naturally gravitates to the high pressure cylinder [intake compression stroke] and some excess goes to the low pressure cylinder [exhaust stroke]. I don't understand how/why the spark chooses. BUT..... sounds like this mod directs ALL the spark energy to the one plug which I think would lead to a higher energy spark which would be more likely to burn through plug deposits and light off bad mixture better.
Do I understand this correctly?
Thanks,

Richard

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I remember reading a little on waste spark systems a little while ago. IIRC the spark naturally gravitates to the high pressure cylinder [intake compression stroke] and some excess goes to the low pressure cylinder [exhaust stroke]. I don't understand how/why the spark chooses. BUT..... sounds like this mod directs ALL the spark energy to the one plug which I think would lead to a higher energy spark which would be more likely to burn through plug deposits and light off bad mixture better.
Do I understand this correctly?
Thanks,

Richard
It is directing it to two plugs rather than one - his motor has two plugs per cylinder, making this possible. One plug will fire from the electrode to ground, while the other plug will fire from ground to the electrode (different polarities).

EDIT: Here's a good description of how it works: http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/~rockledge/RangerPictureGallery/DIS_EDIS.htm

Last edited:

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's got waste spark, which means that coil pack actually only has 2 coils in it, not 4. So each time one coil fires, two plugs are sparking. It did not change the firing order, and did not advance the timing. Rather, the mod just has both plugs firing on the just the intake side instead of the intake and exhaust.
It changed the firing order of one coil.

Could just throw a timing light on it and check both coils to be sure about the timing.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I did the plug wire swap yesterday & I am always having a load of scrap metal on my truck & boy did this make a difference especially with 4.10 gears & 33's.

Its like a v-6 or 4.88's were installed

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im curious what its going to do to my gas mileage

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
on the tank of gas I went through yesterday It didnt seem to go by as fast. I dont have the time or days available to test the milage on road trip as my job is basically 7 days a week & if I decide to take a day or two off then its for vehicle maintiance or doing stuff around the house.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It changed the firing order of one coil.

Could just throw a timing light on it and check both coils to be sure about the timing.
So is one coil for intake, and the other for exhaust?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is directing it to two plugs rather than one - his motor has two plugs per cylinder, making this possible. One plug will fire from the electrode to ground, while the other plug will fire from ground to the electrode (different polarities).

EDIT: Here's a good description of how it works: http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/~rockledge/RangerPictureGallery/DIS_EDIS.htm
When a coil fires, high voltage current flows INTO the top of first plug and OUT the top of the second plug, completing a big loop in each case.
It sounds to me it leads off with the main plug, and then a little bit later the second one fires halfhearted.

It has been years ago (probably close to 10 by now) somebody on here was making noise about what the point of it was. I took it as when the flame front approaches plug #2 it fires and gives it a boost. I don't have one and don't really follow them that close so don't take that as gospel. :icon_thumby:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is this applicable to duratecs as well?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
is this applicable to duratecs as well?
No, it isn't. This mod, as I understand it, relys on the dual plug system to even be possible. The duratec was single plug engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals