• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rethread an aluminum oil pan?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
So I just got back into the RBV crowd today....wood woot! Got a 91 explorer with the M5OD in it :D

Anyway, I just did an oil change on it and it looks like someone tried to put a heli-coil (sp) in the drain plug. I put the plug back in after the change and its not in all the way but its tight as all get out and not leaking. Anyway my question is, is this safe or am I going to need a new pan? I know that normally people don't rethread aluminum....

rfl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have used Helicoil kits on nothing but aluminum; highest torque I put on them was ~75 lbs. Never had a failure even on maintenance components that get taken apart frequently.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
That's good to know! My main concern is that the drain plug doesn't spin in all the way, but it doesn't leak either. At least not that I've seen so far :dunno:

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just tap the pan out to the next size up? It's only a plug...

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are self tapping plugs available, easier than a helicoil and just as lasting. Some even have a smaller drain plug so you dont even have to worry about the aluminum pan again. Just put one in wifes honda and at last oil change had to remove to put new gasket on as old one broke! Also put permatex 2 on to keep plug from leaking. I think it cost me less than $5 for the plug.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I probably will just end up tapping it out to the next size the next time I'm under there. Not used to having problems with the aluminum pans, my old Ranger never had this issue, but then again this *was* owned by someone who didn't really know what they were doing....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals