• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

retaining emissions

mikewashere

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum today really excited and looking forward to doing a 5.0 swap in a 97 or older ranger using the explorer as a donor. I want to do the 5spd trans, rwd.

From what I read you can use the mustang t5 trans but I'm not seeing much in depth info on how that would go together using the explorer motor into a ranger? does it the trans bolt up to that motor and just use the mustang drive shaft/rear end??

Also my other concern before getting into this is I'm in Ontario, Canada I want to retain all the emissions are there any links to info on how to keep all that/diagrams, etc? I'm not sure if I'm missing these things in search this forum seems to be jammed pack with info I must be missing it!

Sorry for all the stupid questions I hope to have a build up real soon. ANY help is appreciated, like I said before I am extremely eager to get started on the swap!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Depending on how strict your emissions tests are, it may be impossible to have a 5.0 5spd pass. The manual wasn't an option on the 5.0 Explorer...

mikewashere

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If I were to use a 94-97 explorer as a donor for a 5.0 swap into a 94-97 ranger what necessary components would be needed to retain working emissions equipment? As these vehicles get newer and newer they tend to add more things to the emissions system then they had in the mid 90s.

I'm aware that the explorer never came 5spd, I just want to get down what exactly it is I'll need to do this swap with a 5spd. That's about the only thing I haven't got a whole lot of info on.

I've been keeping notes and tabs on all sort of this useful info so when it comes time I know where to start.

Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Explorers got V8's in 1996, manual trans was an option but they are had to find, stock was automatic.
1996/1997 are the best years to use since the computer for the V8 won't have PATS(passive anti-theft system), PATS adds a layer of work, since you need to have PATS components installed and working or computer won't start fuel injectors, so "no go".
Explorer V8 computer will also want to "see" an automatic transmission if that's what it came with, another complication, truck will run but CEL(check engine light) will be on all the time, and that's a no-no for emissions test.
There are computer programmers that can remove the PATS check and automatic trans software, but it is an added cost.
No I don't know any, they can be found on line, it is not illegal.

Most emission are based on the year of the vehicle, and some state that if an engine is swapped out it must be from a newer vehicle and emission standards for that year will now apply to the older vehicle.

You need to check local laws to get specific information, before you start.

Most manual transmissions don't have detachable bell housings any more, that means any manual transmission you use must be from a vehicle that had/has a 302(5.0l) V8, if that's the engine you use.
The V8 manual trans Ford used for V8s was the M5OD-R2, Ranger had the M5OD-R1, not quite as beefy as the R2.
The pre-1996 R2 transmissions had the shifter a bit forward of Ranger location but can be used

In 1997 Ford dropped the 302(5.0l) in F-series trucks and started using modular V8s, they are too wide for Rangers and Explorers.
They also started using the 4.2l V6 in '97, 4.2l V6 uses Windsor Small block bolt pattern...........same as 302(5.0L), and used the R2 trans for this V6 :)
And the shifter is a little farther back, closer to rangers location.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I did a 5.0 Explorer swap with a T5 5 speed in my 99 Ranger. I retained all of the emissions equipment except for the cats. There are a few obstacles as mentioned but nothing difficult. PATS, computer codes, etc. When it comes down to it all you are doing is merging some stuff from an Explorer, some stuff from a Ranger, and some stuff from a Mustang. You can check out my thread for more info.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93941

mikewashere

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did a 5.0 Explorer swap with a T5 5 speed in my 99 Ranger. I retained all of the emissions equipment except for the cats. There are a few obstacles as mentioned but nothing difficult. PATS, computer codes, etc. When it comes down to it all you are doing is merging some stuff from an Explorer, some stuff from a Ranger, and some stuff from a Mustang. You can check out my thread for more info.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93941
WOW

Your build is extremely inspirational to not only myself but the many viewers on this forum apparently this is living proof that if you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

Amazing work!

Explorers got V8's in 1996, manual trans was an option but they are had to find, stock was automatic.
1996/1997 are the best years to use since the computer for the V8 won't have PATS(passive anti-theft system), PATS adds a layer of work, since you need to have PATS components installed and working or computer won't start fuel injectors, so "no go".
Explorer V8 computer will also want to "see" an automatic transmission if that's what it came with, another complication, truck will run but CEL(check engine light) will be on all the time, and that's a no-no for emissions test.
There are computer programmers that can remove the PATS check and automatic trans software, but it is an added cost.
No I don't know any, they can be found on line, it is not illegal.

Most emission are based on the year of the vehicle, and some state that if an engine is swapped out it must be from a newer vehicle and emission standards for that year will now apply to the older vehicle.

You need to check local laws to get specific information, before you start.

Most manual transmissions don't have detachable bell housings any more, that means any manual transmission you use must be from a vehicle that had/has a 302(5.0l) V8, if that's the engine you use.
The V8 manual trans Ford used for V8s was the M5OD-R2, Ranger had the M5OD-R1, not quite as beefy as the R2.
The pre-1996 R2 transmissions had the shifter a bit forward of Ranger location but can be used

In 1997 Ford dropped the 302(5.0l) in F-series trucks and started using modular V8s, they are too wide for Rangers and Explorers.
They also started using the 4.2l V6 in '97, 4.2l V6 uses Windsor Small block bolt pattern...........same as 302(5.0L), and used the R2 trans for this V6 :)
And the shifter is a little farther back, closer to rangers location.
Thank you for your post! Very informative. I plan to use 96-97 ranger and explorer for the build. If I get any 5spd trans for a 5.0 pre 96 it should bolt right up to the 302 and fit in the cab?

I think the odds of me finding an explorer 5.0 with a 5spd is slim to none here so I would need it to pass emissions regulations while still having the 5.0 swap.

mikewashere

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I guess my first question regarding emissions standards would be just to comply with the regulations based on that of a 96-97 explorer 5.0 and retain whatever emissions equipment that vehicles uses.

Moving on; does a thread exist with info stating everything or almost everything needed to do the 96-97 5.0 swap + 5spd in a 96-97 2wd ranger? I've found lots of info but still lots of questions.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have been doing a lot of research on retaining emissions on a v8 swap. I have a 2000 2wd 4l i plan on swapping to a 2wd v8. I to am in Ontario. Here's how the ontario law works for emissions. As soon as you drop a motor into a chassis it was not built with (displacement, # of cylinders) your vehicle has to be registered into a hotrod class. Hot rod emissions are simple, you have to meet the on board emission requirements of the engine and chassis. Simply put, you have to make all emission systems either vehicle was made with work on your ride. Then you have to meet the parts per million pollution output that your original chassis had. All of this is not that hard to complete. If either truck had evap, cats, egr, electronic fuel injection, crank case breather, and etc make it function in some way on the truck. Basically, if you get a similar year engine to run in the truck with no codes, you're probably good with the emissions. please refer to the link below.

http://www.ontario.ca/faq/do-hot-rods-need-drive-clean-test

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I have been doing a lot of research on retaining emissions on a v8 swap. I have a 2000 2wd 4l i plan on swapping to a 2wd v8. I to am in Ontario. Here's how the ontario law works for emissions. As soon as you drop a motor into a chassis it was not built with (displacement, # of cylinders) your vehicle has to be registered into a hotrod class. Hot rod emissions are simple, you have to meet the on board emission requirements of the engine and chassis. Simply put, you have to make all emission systems either vehicle was made with work on your ride. Then you have to meet the parts per million pollution output that your original chassis had. All of this is not that hard to complete. If either truck had evap, cats, egr, electronic fuel injection, crank case breather, and etc make it function in some way on the truck. Basically, if you get a similar year engine to run in the truck with no codes, you're probably good with the emissions. please refer to the link below.

http://www.ontario.ca/faq/do-hot-rods-need-drive-clean-test
I posted above with information regarding my current Ranger. I forgot to mention that I had a 1993 Ranger with a 1995 (5.0 Mustang GT) crate engine from Ford. It had a T5 five speed and retained all emissions equipment including cats. At the time in 1997 it passed Florida vehicle emissions testing without any issue. Several years later Florida discontinued vehicle emission testing. I didn't attempt to apply for any consideration with the 1993 Ranger, I simply pulled into line and went through the testing process. Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness rather then to ask for permission. In my case I didn't have to ask for either one.

Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
So, just got off the phone with drive clean. Drive clean is Ontario's emission program. My previously stated comments about hotrod status is for 1999 and older vehicles. 2000 and newer are even easier. The motor has to be an obd2 compliant engine. Make sure there are no engine lights on and then take it in for the etest. Once the ecu vin doesn't match the chassis entered vin, the drive clean test goes live with cameras to verify the chassis vin is correct. Then, when the engine passes the test you get a printed etest with the new engine register to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
WOW! What a concept!! Simply ensure what comes out the tail pipe is meets standards!

Who knew ANY government program could actually be halfway sane???

So, just got off the phone with drive clean. Drive clean is Ontario's emission program. Make sure there are no engine lights on and then take it in for the etest. Once the ecu vin doesn't match the chassis entered vin, the drive clean test goes live with cameras to verify the chassis vin is correct. Then, when the engine passes the test you get a printed etest with the new engine register to it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals