• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Restoring the old Eight Nine Stang

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They really are doing a lot for the price. I was quoted as high as 5,000 for the same job at other shops. I also bought all clear lights for up front. I have the factory GT lights (the slotted ones you're talking about) over there now so they can be painted with the car. But I am putting LX tail lights back on it when it's done.
Those are factory?! I always though they were aftermarket covers. That's cool. I think you'll like the way the white painted GT tails will look on it.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Those are factory?! I always though they were aftermarket covers. That's cool. I think you'll like the way the white painted GT tails will look on it.
Yeah, they are factory. If you look in the link below it shows an unpainted one. These things are getting hard to find. They actually aren't covers, it's molded into the entire tail light.

Also, in regards to the GT40-P conversation earlier, I do understand your frustration. Lots of parts from Mustangs go into different cars as well. The Factory Five Cobra kit requires an entire Mustang drivetrain to build it. I figure it's give and take. I really have to question why Ford didn't use the P heads until the Explorer was the only vehicle they still made with a 302. Seems they knew it was going to be a common swap when they made P headers for Fox Mustangs.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-13450BB/87-93-Mustang-GT-RH-Taillight-Lens

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Here are some new photos as of 11/17/10. It's getting close!

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's looking good, but I can't help but think, "someone has a lot of sanding ahead of them".

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's looking good, but I can't help but think, "someone has a lot of sanding ahead of them".
Yeah, he said they are going to go over it with 320 grit now. I'm glad it's not me :D

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's finally painted. Here are a couple of teaser pics. It should be back in my possession on Tuesday. YIPEE!

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I feel I owe it to her. I bought her when I was still a teenager (19). I really have beat the holy piss out of this car. It's seen more than it's fair share of wide open throttle. In 16 years I've only put 75,000 miles on it.....only 4,000 in the last 8 years.
You sound like me. I have had my 85 GT for 22 years and have only put 83,XXX on it. I put a whopping 200 miles on it this last summer. Gave it a paint job about 4 years ago and it's now up for sale. Can't stand to see it sit any longer.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You sound like me. I have had my 85 GT for 22 years and have only put 83,XXX on it. I put a whopping 200 miles on it this last summer. Gave it a paint job about 4 years ago and it's now up for sale. Can't stand to see it sit any longer.
I had an 85 GT once, and an 85 GT is where my Mustang history begins. I had an 85 Subaru and my friend had an 86 4 cylinder Mustang. He got tired of the meek 4 cylinder Mustang getting beat by my Subaru so he bought an 85 GT. I'll never forget my first ride in that car......my buddy gunned it and it went all shades of sideways. I looked at him and said "I'm getting one of these". This was in February and I bought an 85 GT in April. That was a fun little car but I hated the carburetor. After another friend of ours got an 88 and a few months later I got my 89.

Useless info, but my 85 will always have a special place in my heart. Sorry to hear you are selling yours. I have contemplated selling mine on an occasion or two. My Wife and my Dad have talked me out of it. My Dad bought a 69 Camaro brand new, and he sold when I was born.....he has kicked himself in the butt for years over selling that thing. I guess I'm using that as an example.

Last edited:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
She's a bute Clark! I love the Fox body styles. I had a 81 GT as my first car, and Then I turned a 87 LX into a 91 GT with bbs honeycomb wheels gt taillights and front end and ground effects. I love working on them!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
She's a bute Clark! I love the Fox body styles. I had a 81 GT as my first car, and Then I turned a 87 LX into a 91 GT with bbs honeycomb wheels gt taillights and front end and ground effects. I love working on them!
LOL, Nice use of the Christmas Vacation quote. Really though, they are my original passion for cars. Rangers and Explorers are fun, but secondary to my love for Fox Body's. I can't wait to get it back, but it's getting parked in storage probably the very same day.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I finally got the call today. IT'S DONE!!!!!! These pictures really don't do it justice, but still tell me what you think please!

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
VERY NICE, dont forget to leave the keys in it and ill pick up on my way by. lol jk jk. but it does look fanatastic. This is one of the few 80s cars i really have a passion for

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
VERY NICE, dont forget to leave the keys in it and ill pick up on my way by. lol jk jk. but it does look fanatastic. This is one of the few 80s cars i really have a passion for
Thank you! I love these things. I've owned it for almost 16 years and it's never looked this good.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was, "it looks sweet as hell, but those rims gotta go".

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

put a brand new interior in it (i dont know what the interior looks like right now) like leather seats or something. then throw some chrome Saleens in there and that car would be sex on wheels

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals