• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Restoring the old Eight Nine Stang

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice car. Makes me miss my '88.

And I feel your pain about the winter months. I have to store my '67 at someones barn. There isn't enough room to walk around the front or passenger side of it while it is in there. Last winter, got it out and found a big dent in the rear quarter and no one knows how it happened.

On my DD cars, I've had to to plenty of mechanical work while laying outside in the snow, using a headlamp in my driveway, which has about a 15% slope to it. NOT FUN!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well..... it's about time to get this little monster out again. Almost all of the snow is melted but we are supposed to get a possible flurry over the weekend. It should be the last one of the year.

Hopefully a water pump is getting pulled next weekend, and sent to Edelbrock for a rebuild!

Just as a note - I went and checked out NAPA's pumps. I was really excited when the manager told me they were made by Gates, and that they produce a Heavy Duty pump for my Stang. Well... all of the wind came out of that sail when I saw "Made in China" on the box. Eff that, I'm not playing that tune.

Last edited:

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last time I got my little monster out I was arrested for indecent exposure!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Toph.... keep that monster under control Dude! LOL.

I ordered a pump, and I hope I don't regret it. I decided to go ahead and get the Heavy Duty Durlast pump because it is made by ASC - even uses the same part number. I got the manager to sell me the 67 dollar pump for 40 dollars after arguing with one of the sales guys over part numbers (guess who was right?) for 15 minutes.

It's almost game on. I have all new hoses for it, and I also am getting a brandy new radiator as well. I'm undecided if the heater core project will go down at the same time - probably not. My magic 8 ball said "my sources point to no" when I asked it. :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My magic 8 ball said "my sources point to no" when I asked it. :D
If it is something you want you need to ask again. Asking an 8 ball more than once works better than with parents or spouses. :icon_thumby:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
If it is something you want you need to ask again. Asking an 8 ball more than once works better than with parents or spouses. :icon_thumby:
That is very true. I hadn't thought to ask again. :yahoo:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I decided to roll the dice and see what happened on the Duralast HD pump. I had read in several places that this was a good pump. Well.... it's Chinese made. Not exactly pleased with that notion. I will give it a whirl and see what happens.

This thing looks like it's polished. Really a decent looking pump. The impeller is impressive for a parts house pump as well. It's larger than stock... and it has more impellers. The bearings also appear to be beefier than stock. I snapped some pics.

Here's the polished look:

For comparison's sake... this is the factory impeller design:

This is the Duralst HD unit's impeller:

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Boy... someone get me a calculator. Both pumps have 8 impellers. It was a long night, LOL.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I just went and picked up the radiator this morning. It is an aluminum unit, as pictured:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your car is an automatic?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Your car is an automatic?
No, this is a universal radiator for either transmission. It is what became my warranty replacement at Autozone. It is actually the only radiator they carry for it.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I went out and got the Stang out from her winter slumber. She fired right up - first crank. Then I surveyed the whole situation. I decided that as long as the radiator is out, I may as well gut all of the A/C crap and anything else (old alternator harness) I don't need. May as well ditch the compressor too, right? Soooo, I ordered the Ford Racing kit that moves the P/S pump higher and eliminates the need for a pulley to replace the compressor. Might be 3 weeks until I get to it though. Oh well.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This is the kit I ordered:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
So, a lot has changed since my last post. I decided to can the power steering as well. I put the new HD Duralast pump on it, and well.... here it is:

Here is some progress I've made so far. I pulled the pump and man was it bad! I put a video below showing how awful it was. I also pulled the P/S pump and made the spacers for the bracket. By the way, the tailgate on an F150 makes a very nice work bench.

HELP, I'M NAKED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQAborhXGmY

You can kind of see my mark for where the new pulley is going. I need to get a better drill bit before I tackle this.

I don't know that anyone gives two poops... but this is a little tip on these water pumps. I learned from experience that there a a couple different styles and lengths on these bolts. When I pull the bolts I put them in the corresponding spot on the new pump, like so:

Then I transfer them over to the old pump for reassembly.

Since the P/S pump and A/C will be gone, I had to either swap to a standard rotation pump, or put a pulley on it. I elected to get a pulley. I got one for a Powerstroke with dual alternators. I had to cut an inch off of the aluminum spacer for a proper fit.

Here is the Flaming River rack and shaft that will be going in soon. It is 4 full turns lock to lock, and it is very easy to turn.

I also have a Taurus fan for it.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Looking good. You know where I can get a full set of water pump bolts with the studs on them. I need them for my power steering bracket and the previous owner just bought bolts from ace.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals