• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rescue Ranger

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It’s just when you think everything is perfect, then someone comes and smacks you in the back of the head with a pipe.

Last edited:

soldier390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I'd rather be at the house.
I got another project out of the way. I have two extra 3.0 transmissions laying around that are in good shape, gear swap time. Got everything out of my 4L case and cleaned it up real good. I didn’t do bearings but I got a shim kit for the main shaft bearings to tighten it up. The donor trans is actually the original 3L unit that came in the truck from the factory so it’s kinda cool that even with all the swapping going on, the trans is somewhat original lol. The truck isn’t as “fast” now and this is my best guess as to why. 1 The lower gears take the engine out of the power band fairly quickly since the 4L puts in the work down low. Shift faster you say? 2 The M5 isn’t exactly a fast shifting transmission or the strongest one out there. Now that I’ve been inside it I can say that the little guy would be a time bomb if I started going fast and hard with it under heavy pedal. Even on my 31s and what’s probably the lightest 4wd round body Ranger you can get. I need to get the boat (99 GS185) behind it and see what I want to see, less clutch feathering on takeoff. I always go to 4low around the boat ramp but getting there made me cringe. They could have at least kept 1st low and tweak 2nd to match.

Attachments

soldier390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Some T Case shenanigans. I was in 4low reverse rocking the truck and I heard a pop. (I’m not aggressive with my truck) When I got out to check there was a bunch of ATF on the ground. I figured it was the trans since I just had it apart and I’ve never had a transfer fail before. I called a friend to pull me out and drove it the 1000 feet to my house. Everything was smooth with no sounds but I babied it. I had an electric shift 1354 laying around so I modded and used the rear case to get mine back up. Absolutely no damage to the insides of mine so I cleaned the few pieces of aluminum out and got it back together. The two post lift is a beautiful thing lol.

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think you'd need some bubble gum too...

Interesting, not sure how that would break like that... The T case I broke was just the snap ring groove for the rear output shaft bearing...

soldier390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I think you'd need some bubble gum too...

Interesting, not sure how that would break like that... The T case I broke was just the snap ring groove for the rear output shaft bearing...
Interesting indeed, I’m hoping it was damaged in the wreck but it didn’t leak a drop and I was ALL over the truck when I swapped the frame. I’m a bit sketched out by it now. I’m on 30” tires so it shouldn’t be possible under light use. The drive shaft is straight and the U joints are good with no vibration. Our old M9XX 5 tons had a warning on the Tcase shifter about not using reverse in low range so who knows.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My 1354 has been fine for years (knock on wood) with 5.13 gears and 35" tires being mainly a wheeling rig with the turbo 2.3L, I don't take it easy on the thing... the one I broke took doing a tractor pull with a bunch of axle wrap that twisted the axle housing and bent a leaf spring as well as bent/twisted the rear driveline... I'm guessing it's from the wreck or just a fluke, that's not a normal thing on a 1354...

soldier390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I’d love some 4.56s but damn she’s got a thirst as it is. A double overdrive 6 speed would be the ticket. I thought pretty hard about swapping in a 4g63t out of a 90 eclipse I’ve had parked for years. I’m pretty happy with the 4L, it pulls good and it’s been like a hammer.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Just read this thread & had to comment. I'm truly astounded at the work you've put into your Ranger. Heck, you wore me out with just the acronyms! I've never seen anyone go as deep into a regularly driven truck as you have. Around here the wreck with the bent frame horn would've done her in. What's your MOS.? Electronics? Mechanics? ( OK, couldn't resist one acronym myself).

soldier390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Just read this thread & had to comment. I'm truly astounded at the work you've put into your Ranger. Heck, you wore me out with just the acronyms! I've never seen anyone go as deep into a regularly driven truck as you have. Around here the wreck with the bent frame horn would've done her in. What's your MOS.? Electronics? Mechanics? ( OK, couldn't resist one acronym myself).
Thanks, I was devastated when the wreck happened. I thought for sure a 55 mph hit was gonna end it. I was a 52D but trust me when I say that wasn’t “my” choice lol. I was 17 and I wanted to be a 63B but got razzle dazzled at MEPS hard to the point I just said whatever. Generator mechanic was NOT a good job. I did far more landscaping of Ft. Riley than working on anything. I always had a home when I was contracting overseas though because generators were the only power we had. I fixed generators, trucks, washers/dryers, MRAPS, Zodiacs, outboard motors, heavy weapons and even some Xboxes cause the rookies thought just because they put a 99 cent adapter in the mystery 240v plug that it was magically 120v 60HZ. The HZ was a slow killer but the 240 was instant learning lol.

soldier390

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I don’t think a posted a pic of it fully alive. I’m still very pissed about all that NOS grill and bumper stuff getting destroyed. I’ve been searching for months for another new 93 4X4 grill. The bumper and lower valance that was on the donor truck are poopoo.

Attachments

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Nice work. Before & after. The toughest always come back stronger...and longer. :)
- Doug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals