• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Req ID of axle housing repair bearing/sleeve

thoncom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
With one rear axle seal leaking I prepared to replace both. Upon disassembly I noticed what you see in the pictures below. I'm assuming this is a repair bearing for a previously spun bearing race. It doesn't look like a sleeve, as best I can tell this is one piece and serves as an outer race. The first picture is what looks like a factory bearing & seal of the right axle. Second is the repair race/sleeve with the inner spring retainer for the bearing still in place for the left axle. Further inside the axle is a single lip seal. Third picture is a shallow V-seal, bearing outer spring retainer and cage (from L to R). Unfortunately I couldn't simply attempt to ID and source a proper seal because upon inspection I found that bearing failing with flaking and pits evident on the rollers.

brg_seal_orig_01.jpg brg_sleeve_01.jpg brg_seal_unkn_01.jpg

The previous owner (92yo family friend who bought truck new) doesn't recall any repair work having been performed on the rear axle bearing. With excess RTV on the paper gasket evident I'm confident someone was in there. Any insight and/or recommendations provided would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

thoncom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the welcome and reply Ron! ;-)

Yeah, this is a 7.5 diff. I was also happy to find this forum a few days ago and since then have perused quite a bit of the '83-'11 tech library.

Not sure if I'm reading your reply incorrectly but I should clarify my OP (which I've also edited). The 1st picture is of the expected OE installed bearing and seal which I found on the right axle. The second and third pictures are of the non-OE bearing and seal which I have to assume is a repair. As you eluded to, I've found nothing on this forum or elsewhere pertaining to spun outer races on a Ranger (or equivalent Fords). Not knowing anything about this particular install I'm not sure if it's simply press fit and also whether or not any machining was performed on the housing to size it proper for the insert. Pretty sure the bearing isn't going to be an off-the-shelf item.

thoncom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The more I think about it this could be nothing more than an axle repair bearing. I had put that thought aside as I didn't see any wear on the axle itself which is what my understanding those are for, simply moving the V-seal contact location. I'll just give the outer race a tug or two tomorrow and if that is what it is it should come out relatively easily. If I see no wear or gauling on the housing we can be pretty sure that is what's likely.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, on that thought

And if it was a repair and it has failed then I wouldn't bother trying to repair it again
Ranger/Mazda Rear axles, 7.5" or 8.8", are not that expensive in OPEN type, and can be found in Limited slip(L/S) which is a good upgrade

7.5" and 8.8" are interchangeable in Rangers same u-bolts and driveshaft connection, and shock mounts

Only difference were drum brake size, 9" and 10" came on both

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Those offset bearings used to be a cheap fix for a bearing failure that scored up the axle back in the Fairmont days. A new axle and a stock bearing are a better way to fix it.

thoncom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Appreciate the insight RonD and 19Walt93!

If I recall the axle looked to be blemish free at the bearing and seal contact locations, hence the reason my imagination took over in the OP. A closer inspection tomorrow will guide the repair toward a simple bearing/seal replacement or one of your suggested options.

thoncom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks pjtoledo!

I could use borrowing some of that "slow night"...or a beer. ;-)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals