• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing the rubber plugs in a M50D-R1

arownious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I found in the Manual Transmission tech page that I have a M50D-R1, and that all three rubber plugs need to be replaced. I'm planning on changing out the tranny fluid any way and want to go ahead and replace those plugs when I do it. I was able to find the Dorman cup plug P/N 555-108 but not the Dana P/N 219-3052 plug.

My question is are we sure the Dorman is the right plug and if so how do you install it? Rockauto describes the part as a cylinder head plug, and Dorman itself doesn't show any Ford Ranger's as being able to use this thing. Also, it looks just like a rounded piece of steel. Does it have any threads on it? Or am I supposed to force this thing in the hole and hope I can remove it later? I'm really confused here.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The steel plug you use to replace the rubber plug is just that...a plug.

You pull out the rubber plug, and you will have a hole. You then hammer the steel plug into the hole, dome side first. I find it easiest to use a socket just smaller than the steel plug, to hammer it in. You are just plugging the hole...thats all. Here is picture to help you visualize it.

Same deal, he is just hammering the plug into the hole. Once it's flush, you stop.

arownious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Makes sense, but is it replacing the drain plug or are these rubber plugs just some moronic invention?

Last edited:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Perhaps until you are clear on what you are doing, you shouldn't try it.

The drain plug and the rubber plugs are not related, do not interchange, and do not serve the same purpose.

The drain plug has threads, and is opened by a 3/8 drive ratchet. (I think it is 3/8, but a ratchet nonetheless.) The drain plug is at the bottom of the transmission. It is not replaced by or related to the rubber plugs in any way, other than keeping oil in.

The rubber plugs are at the rear of the shift rail housing on the top of the transmission. You may never have to remove them again, because they have nothing to do with changing the trans oil.

To get to the shift rail plugs, you will have to lower the rear of the transmission or remove it completely. Removing the trans gives easiest access. If you remove it completely, check the clutch wear and slave cylinder for leakage.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the last batch of dorman plugs were too loose and I returned them.

being blunt simply cleaning the plugs with solvent and RTV'ing them
in place is sufficient.

Do remember the plugs get a lot of misplaced blame, as they get bathed in oil leaking from the shifter that is directly above them.

the plugs are also the only "Vent" the transmission has... so sealing them completely creates other issues...

AD

92ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
simply cleaning the plugs with solvent and RTV'ing them
in place is sufficient.
That's what I did and they have held just fine for the past 50K miles.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
That's what I did and they have held just fine for the past 50K miles.
Me too.
I also added a vent in the top plate that goes to a little reservoir.(an old RBV clutch reservoir to be specific.) I have heard that adding a Hurst shifter causes venting issues and tends to cause leaks around seals and flanges, so I did it in preparation for a Hurst shifter later.

-PlumCrazy

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the hurst shifter sealls really well, my trans happens to have welch plugs in two of the three positions, but with the hurst shifter on there after running it on the highway and unbolting the shifter you can definatly tell that the trans can create an internal vacuum

pulling the shifter off created a great sucking sound...

it's sealed really well...

that's one thing the hurst cured... the shifter leak.

AD

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I figured since I had the trans out it wouldnt get any easier, so I added a barb on the top plate. I have heard to many stories about the trannies springing leaks after a Hurst install.

I ran a hose up to the reservoir on the fire wall.

-PlumCrazy

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I just sealed up my stock rubber plugs with gasket maker, I haven't ran the truck yet, but will this cause any problems?

As far a vent goes, how much fluid have you guys gotten In that hose? I would assume not much if any???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals