• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing steering gearbox

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm looking to replace the power steering gearbox. Would that require an alignment afterwards?
Thanks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No, it shouldn't.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
As a tip, once the old one is out use 2 long screw drivers through the bolt holes to help line up the 3rd hole for the bolt. Once that first bolt is started the other 2 are easy to line up.

No alignment is necessary as you are not changing the suspension geometry.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only place I can think of that might require some work is if the steering wheel doesn't line up. I cant remember how the steering wheel attaches.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
The steering shaft coming out of the gear box has a flat spot so the splines on the steering shaft itself will only line up one way. This clocks the steering wheel to the correct-ish orientation.

Because my '94 had an alignment with the bad steering box my wheel now sits about a quarter of a turn one direction while going strait. This is a simple fix by getting it re-aligned. The geometry didn't change so it still drives strait just the steering wheel is crooked. This is common when there is a lot of play in the old steering box.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As a tip, once the old one is out use 2 long screw drivers through the bolt holes to help line up the 3rd hole for the bolt. Once that first bolt is started the other 2 are easy to line up.

No alignment is necessary as you are not changing the suspension geometry.
So, overall, how difficult of a job is replacing the gearbox?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
It's not that bad. The hardest part is getting the new box up into position to skewer the holes with the screwdrivers by yourself. I used a pickle fork to separate the joint from the pitman arm because the joint wouldn't pop by hitting it with the 3 lb sledgehammer. If you go this route be sure to pull the rubber boot down so the fork doesn't destroy the rubber boot.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Aside from being heavy, it’s not all that hard to do. I’ve had them out by separating the pitman and tie rods and I’ve separated the pitman from the box (requires a puller). There’s two power steering lines attached to the box and the steering shaft from the steering wheel is held on with a pinch bolt. Pull the pinch bolt then you just have to work the splined part off. The part where the steering wheel shaft attaches to has a flat spot so you can’t easily goof that up. The pitman arm can be clocked, however. So the best way to do it is get the wheels straight before you start. If you leave the pitman arm on, then it’s pretty hard to mess up, but if the pitman comes off, I would highly recommend marking it. It is possible to spin the box both ways and find center though, but it’s easier marking it.

FYI, Rangers (83-97), Bronco II, first gen Explorers, F-series trucks up to around 97, full size Broncos, and E-series vans all used the same steering box. Pitman arms are different, IIRC.

If it’s just excessive slop in the wheel, these boxes can be adjusted to a degree. There’s a nut and stud on the top of the box, loosen the nut and tighten the stud a little at a time. If the wheel starts binding and won’t return to center on its own, you need to back it off until that goes away. Sometimes an adjustment will fix the problem, sometimes not, but it’s a good place to start.

If it’s leaking fluid around the pitman arm, it is possible to change the bearing and seal there. Little bit of a pain, but it can even be done in the truck.

Also, there are upgraded steering box options. Doesn’t seem to get talked a lot about with Rangers, but it’s a fairly common thing to hear with the fullsize crowd.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
When I first looked at mine, I just shook my head and walked away. It looks like a really complex job with a lot of stuff in the way, but once you get into it, it isn't as bad as it looks.
Agree with what was said above.
My biggest issue was separating the pitman arm from the steering gear. I ended up pulling the gear with the pitman still attached. I tried all the usual methods. What finally worked was steel wedge and a hammer.

You can access the power steering lines through the wheel well. Refilling takes a little time, but is not hard at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals