• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

replacing lower intake gasket

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 93 4.o with no egr but i do have a/c. in a few weeks i will be replacing the lower intake gasket and was wanting to know what else i would need to replace and mabey even some tips or tricks so that i am prepared when i tear into this. i only have one day to tear into this and put it back together last thing i need is some thing no one has on their shelves. thank you all ahead of time

Larry's shee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Plenum to manifold or intake to heads? If whole manifold , obviously gaskets. Extra brake clean, scotch brite or wheels to clean gasket, pan for coolant, rvt for where head block and manifold meet. New thermostat and o-ring gasket. Extra coolant cause you'll spill some. PB Blaster to presoake nuts to studs on plenum to manifold. Might be good time to inspect for other things to replace when they are off,ie belt etc,etc. Hope this helps. JMHO, your results may (and will) vary.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i believe plemim to mani

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
here is my write up on doing this for my 97.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94437

without the egr to deal with, you will have it much easier. i also believe that you have an aluminum upper intake, so that will be different, but i believe the lower intake is the same.

while you are in there you will have to take the valve covers off. the valve cover gasket kit that i bought in the above link has the gasket that *should* fit between your upper intake and the fuel rail. it is also the same for the fuel rail to lower intake, but you won't have to change that. the is is not too bad of a job, just make sure you get the OEM Ford lower gasket instead of the felpro one. it has real rubber instead of cork ends.

AJ

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks man, i saw your thread when i started researching this about 4 months ago. i know i will need to do the valve covers sadly i just replaced the valve cover gasket about 2 months ago. the only question i had is what all was included in that felpro kit you bought? cause im finding more gaskets i need then given in kits

Rudie Del Rude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
here is my write up on doing this for my 97.

while you are in there you will have to take the valve covers off. the valve cover gasket kit that i bought in the above link has the gasket that *should* fit between your upper intake and the fuel rail. it is also the same for the fuel rail to lower intake, but you won't have to change that. the is is not too bad of a job, just make sure you get the OEM Ford lower gasket instead of the felpro one. it has real rubber instead of cork ends.

AJ
Make sure they give you the right valve cover gaskets. As far as i could tell the two valve cover gaskets have different shapes. The ford dealership gave me two of the same gaskets.

I had only had to get the two valve cover gaskets, lower manifold gasket, and plenum gasket and that was it. I forgot to get an o-ring for the egr tube into the upper manifold but apparently that wont apply to you.

Does he need a therm gasket? I left mine on, that nipple was a nice grip to help pull that manifold out.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
thanks man, i saw your thread when i started researching this about 4 months ago. i know i will need to do the valve covers sadly i just replaced the valve cover gasket about 2 months ago. the only question i had is what all was included in that felpro kit you bought? cause im finding more gaskets i need then given in kits

in the valve cover gasket set, i got the felpro high end set, it included the valve cover gaskets that were not cork, they were made of plastic and rubber, and the gasket that can be used for the fuel rail to lower intake, on older rangers, it can be also used for fuel rail to upper intake. the gaskets for the upper intake to fuel rail for my 97 i had to buy as a separate kit, which again, i used felpro. the kit gives you 6 of the oring gaskets, but you only need 3 of them. for the lower intake to engine block/heads, i went with the oem Ford gasket, as it had rubber seals and not cork, and was only a few dollars more in price. for the fuel injectors, i got the felpro orings. each o ring kit only had 4 orings, so i had to get 3 kits at 2 orings per injector. i have the part number for all of these gaskets listed in my walk through

Make sure they give you the right valve cover gaskets. As far as i could tell the two valve cover gaskets have different shapes. The ford dealership gave me two of the same gaskets.

I had only had to get the two valve cover gaskets, lower manifold gasket, and plenum gasket and that was it. I forgot to get an o-ring for the egr tube into the upper manifold but apparently that wont apply to you.

Does he need a therm gasket? I left mine on, that nipple was a nice grip to help pull that manifold out.
as for the valve cover gaskets, they are the same. you just flip one over to make it work for the other side. just ask me how i figured that one out... lol

i forgot to do the egr tube oring too... didn't seem to cause a problem tho. not sure what the therm gasket is... if it is the thermostat, the new tstat should come with one, at least mine did.

AJ

Rudie Del Rude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I could be wrong, it was a while ago when i changed em. I saw pieces of the gasket hanging out over the head, it looked so awkward that i went and bought a cheap cork one (they actually asked me which side it was for) and it lined up perfectly.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
lol that is exactly how i figured out that i had the gasket on upside down. it was sticking out over the head and i flipped it over and tada, fit perfectly.

AJ

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
dose cork really make a big difference for the valve cover and other places. i mean i have heard allot of good things about cork but i do know rubber is perfered.

Rudie Del Rude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
lol that is exactly how i figured out that i had the gasket on upside down. it was sticking out over the head and i flipped it over and tada, fit perfectly.

AJ
I would like to think i was smart enough back then to turn it around more than one way..... but now that you said that for some reason, i dont think i was

dose cork really make a big difference for the valve cover and other places. i mean i have heard allot of good things about cork but i do know rubber is perfered.
Its done good so far. I dont like the idea of a cork gasket but for a valve cover its a cheap and easy fix if it goes out. so i said screw it.

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
wut the rude guy said on cork... cheap and fairly easy to replace depending on the motor. the reason why I went with the rubber was that this is a bitch job to do, and I didnot want to have to tear half of the engine down to replace them again. If it were a small block chevy, I probably would do the cork, as it is only a few minutes to yank the valve covers and swap them out. another downside of cork is that it can fuse nicely to the heads... making scraping the gasket surfaces a bit more of a pain.

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I would like to think i was smart enough back then to turn it around more than one way..... but now that you said that for some reason, i dont think i was
the thing to remember about the valve covers on this engine is that they will fit on either head. you can swap them around, and the only issue you will have is to run the hoses to the pcv valve and the intake. another thing isthat the bolt holes are symetrical (meaning you can bolt the valve covers on upside down and they will line up bolt wise if you have long enough bolts) but the indentations are not symetrical. (one side of the valve cover has a longer straight run before hitting the indentations than the other) this is what causes the gasket to stick out if you put it on upside down.

and I found this out after I had put the gasket on upside down AND bolted teh valve cover down lol

AJ

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks. um what rtv did you use i want to use red but black may be a better choice idk. for some reason red has never failed on me but black has never worked for me. so which one red or black?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
wut the rude guy said on cork... cheap and fairly easy to replace depending on the motor. the reason why I went with the rubber was that this is a bitch job to do, and I didnot want to have to tear half of the engine down to replace them again. If it were a small block chevy, I probably would do the cork, as it is only a few minutes to yank the valve covers and swap them out. another downside of cork is that it can fuse nicely to the heads... making scraping the gasket surfaces a bit more of a pain.

AJ
Exactly why I went with the Felpro with rubber. Since you are going to be in there already might as well do it so you wont have to go back in for awhile. Hell I went ahead and replaced my rocker arms and pushrods with hardened ones during the process

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals