• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing Bottle Jack for 98-11: Emergency Use Only

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Hi All,
I saw a Torin Big Red 6 Ton bottle jack on Amazon today for $21 and was thinking of picking one up to replace the OEM bottle jack for the 98-11 generation, (maybe applies to others as well). Luckily, I haven't had to use the OEM one, but given its age, I wouldn't mind throwing $20ish to a little assurance on getting something more reliable, (theoretically anyway). Given the lift range of 8.25" to about 16", would this be just fine on a non-lifted 4x4 model? I know I have my stock jack, but I think I took it out in the garage and can't find the thing for the life of me.

And to note: this is just in the event of an emergency, not a replacement for actual maintenance raising, etc. It looks like the manual calls for lifting the lower control arm if it's the front or the axle tube directly between the U bolts if it's the rear. I'll measure those points as soon as the sun comes out, but just posting to see if anyone has any advice or input surrounding stock jack replacement. TIA!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I used to just carry a couple short 4x4 blocks in the bed to put the jack on

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll measure those points as soon as the sun comes out,
Measure axle tube or lower control arm to the bottom of rim, remember the emergency will be a flat or destroyed tire with the possibility the rim is sitting on the ground.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I switched mine out for a Husky scissor jack. I think it was like $40 bucks. HF has em cheaper.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve used bottle jacks for years. Carry a couple pressure treated 2X and 4x pieces. Block the wheels good and if needed put a board or two down to set the jack on. You have to pay attention that the jack is centered and doesn’t start to lean or anything, and it’s a good idea to have a jackstand or some 6x6 blocks and stuff to stack up to make a temporary stand. Only once had a bottle jack roll out and that was my fault, I was in a hurry and didn’t block the wheels and support the truck because “I’m not getting under the truck” and when it went, the bedside knocked me over backwards. Didn’t hurt anything but my pride but it was a pain to get it jacked back up because when it’s sitting on the brake drum, not much fits under the axle.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
with the mechanical jack the long handle keeps you out of the way, pumping a hydraulic jack involves getting under the truck.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
you don't want it falling on you, for sure. my shoulder is still not 100% from when the jeep rolled down on me in feb or march.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My rule for bottle jacks is if you use one you better have a second handy for when the first one falls over and you have to jack up the truck again to recover it.

They are handy but the tiny flat top does not work well with round axle tubes (see the C shaped top on factory jacks) and the bases are pretty small so they tip easily.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
The best bottle jacks I've found are the ones found in 90s Mitsubishi Monteros, 1.5 ton telescoping hydraulic jack with a top pad designed to go under the axle tube, the handle is better than 4 feet long when extended also. they're stored in a compartment in the floor under the driver side of the rear seat in those

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The best bottle jacks I've found are the ones found in 90s Mitsubishi Monteros, 1.5 ton telescoping hydraulic jack with a top pad designed to go under the axle tube, the handle is better than 4 feet long when extended also. they're stored in a compartment in the floor under the driver side of the rear seat in those
Supposedly some of the new Super Duty trucks come with that style of jack too, or so I have heard.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Older Land/Range Rovers had nice ones too. A yoke to support the axle and a big base with a long handle. Even have wheel chocks too.

Screenshot_20221101-104101_Flickr.jpg

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Supposedly some of the new Super Duty trucks come with that style of jack too, or so I have heard.
I have one of those too, it's basically a 4 ton version of the Mitsubishi jack, it telescopes out about 2 inches taller also.

Older Land/Range Rovers had nice ones too. A yoke to support the axle and a big base with a long handle. Even have wheel chocks too.

View attachment 84603
Now I know what I'm going to hunt for at the junkyard this Saturday, they have 3 or 4 of those there.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have one of those too, it's basically a 4 ton version of the Mitsubishi jack, it telescopes out about 2 inches taller also.

Now I know what I'm going to hunt for at the junkyard this Saturday, they have 3 or 4 of those there.
Discos have them under the hood, the range rover I got mine out of had it in a foam insert inside the spare tire.

Discos are easy to see and get nabbed fast.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have a piece of wood to act as a base plate for the factory and bottle jack. The point about the saddle on the factory one is a good one. A standard bottle jack is going to be more sketchy unless you use it on the frame or a flat surface.

I also slide the spare under the truck until I can get the flat tire off and then it goes under the truck.

I also have a pair of wheel chocks to keep the truck from rolling. The tire on the opposite side and end of the vehicle gets the chock.

Though I haven’t gotten one yet, places sell bottle jack adaptors with the y for the axle and front lower control arm horn. I know Amazon had them at one point. As far as the longer handle to keep you out from under the truck, you’re going to have to make your own. I haven’t seen anything ready made that is long enough.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I use some stock Ford jacks from the wrecking yard. Mostly unused @ $2.50 each. I have several under my tool box now, with at least two jack stands, a couple plywood pads, 4x4 blocks and some tow ropes

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals