• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing belts & steering pump... Anything else while I'm in there?

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I've got the old belts and leaky power steering pump out to be replaced. Is there anything else I should look at or replace while everything's apart?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Check your steering gear box for leaks. They're prone to leak before the pump ever does. Also check your idler/tension pulley's for play.

jhammel85

While those belts are off, Spin the water pump, alternator and power steering pump by hand and take note of any weird vibrations or sounds. If that power steering pump itself is leaking from behind the pulley, I wouldn't be surprised if you felt or heard some bearing noise from the inside.

If your steering box is leaking, Check the fittings. If it's the Pitman arm seals, Hopefully you can get away with replacing the seal...Unless the shaft is grooved.

88B2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The pulleys I've checked. The power steering pump had been leaking at the low pressure line fitting. I may have been able to get away with just replacing that line but I've got a spare pump with less miles so thought I might as well replace it.

I'll check the gearbox fittings and pitman arm seals. Everythings pretty well caked with grime from the hose leak. A better approach might have been: Clean all steering components, drive a little ways, check for leaks, then tear down.

Also, the steering whines a little when the wheel is fully turned. Is that normal or is there a common culprit?

Thanks for the helpful advice guys. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

jhammel85

Somewhat normal...At least it is to me. Mine quieted down a lot when I put Mercon ATF in mine. Apparently Fords use it in their PS systems. It was news to me when my friend got a Ranger and when I got mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals