• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacement Headlight Recommendations

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
How high are you two right now?
Saying things like this are only a problem when they become a problem.

@OldBlue61 is spot on... offer your opinion and perhaps something helpful. Questioning how high a person is to have an opinion on something? Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done...

Doorman... like most all suppliers... have really sold out to the lowest bidder meeting bare minimum requirements. The entire auto parts industry has become a total crapshoot.

I myself would probably find a nice set of factory light housings and polish them up. Put some good bulbs in them and call it a day. If I thought I needed more... I would add a nice set of DOT driving lights. I feel most of these aftermarket lights are throwing good money for cheap parts with questionable performance.

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley
...and that was the whole reason for my question, and thanks for your recommendation. I've been fortunate enough to be able to replace a car before it got too old and haven't had to do too much work to them (other than general maintenance), and just recently picked up the Ranger mainly to have something to tinker on. Not sure who makes decent stuff anymore.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Rangers are a great little truck for that. Many things you can do to make them your own.

You can never go wrong with Motorcraft replacement parts... I'm not sure I trust many others. Like I said... total crapshoot.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I don’t think there’s much difference in performance for any of these incandescent lights. I think they’re probably all basically the same. I’d like to find some led replacement bulbs that work, but they’re supposed to all be pretty bad. I had a pair of led bulbs in a high beam only light with a reflector that was something like 3”x4” and it was excellent. I think these big housings don’t play nice with led bulbs. And I’ve never seen a success story with the hi/low leds.

they do make led replacements for sealed beam units that are purpose built for leds . I wish there was a sealed beam conversion for this truck, that’d be the best option. A pair of accessory high beams are probably the easiest option if you need more light.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm not a fan of most LED replacements... but I'm old.

FYI... I moved this tread to the lighting system forum.

Maybe do a search... this topic has come up several times.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Hey all. My '94 has had the original headlights replaced with God know what brand of replacement headlights. They suck. Big time. THE absolute worst light pattern and quality. I want to replace them with an original style headlight, but which one? There are a lot of different brands and places to purchase them from, but I don't want to end up with a couple of piles of poo :poop: for headlights again. I'm not adverse to paying a premium (within reason) for a GOOD set of replacement headlight assemblies, but which ones? Anybody have recommendations and links for decent quality ones? I live out in the sticks where it's dark as molasses at night, and although I don't drive the Ranger that much, I still need a light with a good beam pattern and something that's decent quality. I have considered adding a set of aftermarket driving lights to supplement the high beams, but I'd rather get the factory lighting as good as possible first.
Spec-D Tuning seems to have a couple of different options out there. Not sure how far you want to go into converting to LED. Simple swap or projector custom build.

As far as LED bulbs go, stay awya from the "C6" brand at all costs.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/ has good quality LEDs.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have never seen a ranger with LED headlights that seem to have a decent beam pattern. The simple bulb swaps don't work well in the factory housings because they don't reflect the light of an LED bulb properly and the few housings designed for LED bulbs seem to do even worse for some reason.

Every LED bulb sorta makes its own distinct light pattern by how the bulb is built so it's nearly impossible to match a particular bulb to the particular reflect pattern of a housing whether stock or aftermarket. That's just my experience, LED stuff may have gotten better.

The only true "upgrade" I've seen were HID bulbs in projector lenses but in my opinion they still offer more of an annoying light (to both driver and oncoming traffic).

LED bulbs do however work great in the fog lights since those housings don't really reflect the beam anyway it's just a flood pattern. And they work great as reverse lights.

20171223_204255.jpg

20180127_200600.jpg

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley
I've got HIDs in my low beams in my Jeep as well as LEDs for the fogs. Both projectors, and both work great. But like some have mentioned I've never seen an LED that works properly in a housing originally meant for a halogen. The pattern is usually bad, and the glare to oncoming drivers... well let's just say I'm sure we've all been on the receiving end of that and know what that's like.

At this point I'd be happy with some Silverstars in decent housings that I can aim and that have a decent pattern, so I may try to find an OEM set and see how far I can get polishing them. At least I'll start there and see how they come out. Thanks everyone.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've got HIDs in my low beams in my Jeep as well as LEDs for the fogs. Both projectors, and both work great. But like some have mentioned I've never seen an LED that works properly in a housing originally meant for a halogen. The pattern is usually bad, and the glare to oncoming drivers... well let's just say I'm sure we've all been on the receiving end of that and know what that's like.

At this point I'd be happy with some Silverstars in decent housings that I can aim and that have a decent pattern, so I may try to find an OEM set and see how far I can get polishing them. At least I'll start there and see how they come out. Thanks everyone.
If you stick with Halogen look at the Phillips Extreme vision bulbs. I think they are slightly brighter than the Sylvania Silver Stars, at least in 9007 series.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
+1^
I just replaced the crappy LEDs in my Corolla, for the Phillips Crystal vision bulbs and may upgrade to the Extremes next time I need bulbs.

rebuild83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 suspension
Tire Size
235/75 r 15
If you decide to sand and polish the old lenses I know they will look like new but a month later they will look the same so I think some aftermarket kits have a protectent you can spray on to make it last longer.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have LED replacement bulbs in the Ranger, and had them in the last F-150 I had before that. There are a million choices on ebay etc. that you can buy and most of them are junk. If you look carefully at the photos you can find the few that are decent.

What you need to do is find the ones that have the actual LED in the same location as the filament is for the halogen bulb. You would think that it is obvious that this is important, but most of the cheap asian suppliers use the same guts of their LED replacements in a huge range of bulb numbers, so they are a compromise at best in any one. The guys who do it better don't try to make the same guts work in a hundred different bulbs, if that makes sense.

If you look hard enough you will find the right one, but there are like 2 decent LED bulbs on ebay out of hundreds of possibilities, for the 9007 type bulbs. BTW, you also need to look for ones that are fanless, because the locking ring attachment method that Ford uses on those bulbs will not fit over any of the fan style LED bulbs, so that helps you narrow it down.

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
Thanks everyone for you input. I ended up buying a pair from Amazon made by Evan Fischer. $47.31 for the pair including bulbs. I figured if they're crap, it's easy enough to return them via Amazon than most other places. I'll update this post once I get them installed.

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
Well, got these installed and aimed (kinda) over the weekend. While these replacements are better than what was in my Ranger, I hesitate to call them acceptable, or even good. Better than what I had, which isn't saying much. I may at some point buy another set from a different manufacturer, but for now...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals