• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacement head light recommendations

SteveK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

I am doing a light restoration on a 2000 Ford Ranger Trail Head (precursor to Edge).

I have the truck in the shop and noticed that the truck has the same problem that most cars of this vintage do - foggy head lamps.

Do any of you have any recommendations for after market replacements?

Do any aftermarket people offer replacements with a glass lens?

I know there are kits out there to polish the lens, but I have never had good luck with these.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I did search the forum, but had so many "hits" regarding head lights, I thought I would just ask. :)

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There are no glass replacement alternatives that I know of for a Ranger.

As long as the replacement housing has DOT markings on it, they should be good. Quality if going to vary from make to make if you don’t buy factory.

You are right on the polishing kits. They are a temporary solution. You could try clear coating the lenses and polishing them after to get them clear. It won’t fix the moisture issue though. So, replacement housings are probably going to be the best option.

SteveK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the response!

In my opinion, the effort to polish the lens and then clear coat exceeds the cost of just buying some nice aftermarket units. Additionally, even if they come out nice, the result is probably temporary.

Im seeing a wide range of prices on the aftermarket units - if someone has experience with a specific brand, please feel free to chime in!

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It takes 5 minutes with a buffer and $5 of wax. What's so hard about that? Even doing it by hand if you have the right cleaner it wont take long.... Don't use the internet hacks like toothpaste or wd-40 or else you will be spending some time out there hand buffing toothpaste on your car looking like a crazy person lol.

SteveK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm.. the few times I have tried it, it was certainly more than 5 minutes and the results were only so-so.

If I recall correctly, part of the issue was the interior of the lens was fogged as well.... can't recall. I have buffed out a lot of materials, I have just never had good luck with clear plastic.... perhaps operator error!

Frozen_Ice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P225/70R15
My credo
Have your pets spayed and neutered
I changed my headlights and tail lights in November 2019 in my 91 Ranger from the faded factory to OEM spec ones I ordered on line. They are not glass. So far so good.
The only issue I had is that one of the taillights would not fit correctly. By this I mean it left a small gap on one side vs the ones I replaced. I probably could have used a heat gun.
One word of advice, do not over tighten the screws thinking that this will align the light or 'pull' it closer to the frame. It will crack. Tighten the screws to a light snug, alternating like tightening lug nuts.

Oh, yea, almost forgot. I ordered through AA Auto parts

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I went with el-cheepo eBay replacements. They look original and fit great, came with new bulbs. I don't think they light the road all that great but this is in comparison to a 2018 truck so it's probably just fine

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought the Eagle Eye brand off ebay for my '02 Ranger. $59 a pair a few year back. They work fine although I see a 2000 Ranger uses a different headlamp assembly.

I did install Hella 9007/HB5 100/80 watt bulbs when I changed out the headlamps. I know these bulbs are probably not street legal but really make a difference.

SteveK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all -

So, I "pulled the trigger" on some aftermarket units I saw on Amazon. I reviewed the pictures closely and noticed they actually have the Ford script logo in the proper spot. (lower right corner as facing the truck) This tells me they may actually be made by the original Ford supplier and are now sold to the aftermarket.

They are Dorman 1590286 and 1590287.

$42.27 for the pair, delivered. :)

I will provide feed back once I receive them.

Thanks for the referral for Hella 9007/HB5 100/80. Im getting older, and I dont see so well at night anymore, so I like nice and BRIGHT! :)

SteveK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
.. just an update. I received the Dorman 1590286 and 1590287 head lights today. They are lacking the Ford script that was shown in the pic, but otherwise very very nice. They match the originals extremely well, so much so that it is plausible they may have come from the original tooling.

.. will update again once installed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals